Caves necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a peacock eel and a featherfin catfish. I have lots of caves for them, but would like to add driftwood instead, and more plants for a more natural look. Im just wondering, do either of these guys need caves abd territories? Or could the do fine with plant and DW cover? If i found big driftwood pieces would they be fine? I dont want the featherfin to get agressive and territorial with others, because he likes his cave. Heres what the tank looks like. 40 gallon planted community

Most freshwater eels at least the ones that I have had like to hide in a dark place during the day an come out at night to feed. Give him a small cave. If he uses it great, if not take it out. Some types of driftwood have many nooks that a eel would love and claim as his spot.
So driftwood will be fine. your cat will also claim a spot it the tank that he likes. So look for a piece of DW that has some nooks and crevices.

tmfish said:
Most freshwater eels at least the ones that I have had like to hide in a dark place during the day an come out at night to feed. Give him a small cave. If he uses it great, if not take it out. Some types of driftwood have many nooks that a eel would love and claim as his spot.
So driftwood will be fine. your cat will also claim a spot it the tank that he likes. So look for a piece of DW that has some nooks and crevices.

I was thinking a large tyle of stump with tons of crevices, but i have never seen somthing about. I am only really worried about my feather fin. He likes to come out and eat at night, but thats about it. I would want him to be unhappy without a big cave to hide in

My featherfin likes to cozy up in a bushy plant (live) and he also likes to hang around in driftwood crevices.

LyndaB said:
My featherfin likes to cozy up in a bushy plant (live) and he also likes to hang around in driftwood crevices.

Really? Could i get a picture of your piece of driftwood? My little guy really doesnt like to be out much..haha

I've got various pieces of driftwood in the tank for him. I will be doing a rescape this weekend (hopefully) and will take photos afterwards. I'm at work now, so can't do pics.

My featherfin is out all the time now. He used to hang upside down in his plant all day and scavenge at night. Now, he comes out the second the lights go on.

LyndaB said:
I've got various pieces of driftwood in the tank for him. I will be doing a rescape this weekend (hopefully) and will take photos afterwards. I'm at work now, so can't do pics.

My featherfin is out all the time now. He used to hang upside down in his plant all day and scavenge at night. Now, he comes out the second the lights go on.

Really? Any tips of making them a bit more outgoing?

I stopped dropping his algae wafers into the back of the tank for him. That was my trick. :lol:

I started mixing the "food du jour" in a small measuring cup with tank water. Then, when I dump it into the tank, because it's wet, it flies through the tank everywhere. Apache figured out that if he wanted to eat, he'd have to eat with everyone else. After a day or two, he decided he liked being out in the open.

LyndaB said:
I stopped dropping his algae wafers into the back of the tank for him. That was my trick. :lol:

I started mixing the "food du jour" in a small measuring cup with tank water. Then, when I dump it into the tank, because it's wet, it flies through the tank everywhere. Apache figured out that if he wanted to eat, he'd have to eat with everyone else. After a day or two, he decided he liked being out in the open.

Food du jour? What type of food it that! Thats a great idea. My problem is that he doesnt eat if i dont chuck somr bloodworms in his man cave. Haha i baby him!!

food du jour = whatever food I'm feeding that day...... I alternate between algae wafers, shrimp pellets, frozen shrimp or plankton, flake food, bloodworms, veggies....

bloodworms are way too rich for him to have every day, you should really stop doing that.

LyndaB said:
food du jour = whatever food I'm feeding that day...... I alternate between algae wafers, shrimp pellets, frozen shrimp or plankton, flake food, bloodworms, veggies....

bloodworms are way too rich for him to have every day, you should really stop doing that.

Oh no, too expensive too. I only give him bloodworms twice a week haha

Back
Top Bottom