CBS died...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a CBS now for about 2 years. Came home to find him dead today. Been noticing for about 3-5 days now that he hasnt been moving a whole lot like he normally does. Normally he got like that when he needed to molt. Well he was dead tonight. All other shrimp (cleaner and fire ok). Also all corals and fish ok. Levels are
Ammonia - 0
Trates and Trites - 0
P04 - very small trace
AK - btween 2.5 - 3
PH - 8.2 to 8.4
Temp 77-78
Salinity 1.024

I do weekly water changes of 20% and did one Sat night. usually when I do one, the shrimp will molt every 3-4 water changes. Also like every 3-5 water changes I will add a VERY small shot of Iodine which I hear helps. Been doing the same routine for 3-4 years since my tank has been set up. Any ideas as to why it died? I took him out and he felt really hard!! Looked like he needed to molt badly.

Are there any kind of worms that will kill something like this? I also posted that I found one of my emerald crabs with ALL of his legs missing and he is crawling around by his claws...2 odd instances being that I have not added any LR for some 1-1.5 years...

So how do you make sure they have enough AND why is it I have been doing the same routine as far as not really adding iodine and they have done just fine for 2 years? Just curious as to how do you know how much iodine is in the water? No way to test for it.
Also cleaner just molted last week.

DragonForce said:
The shrimp probably did not have the proper iodine to molt and died.
thats kinda vague... too much iodine? too little iodine?

fishman said:
I do weekly water changes of 20% and did one Sat night. usually when I do one, the shrimp will molt every 3-4 water changes. Also like every 3-5 water changes I will add a VERY small shot of Iodine which I hear helps. Been doing the same routine for 3-4 years since my tank has been set up. Any ideas as to why it died? I took him out and he felt really hard!! Looked like he needed to molt badly.
if you are doing regular water changes, and adding iodine as an additive, you SHOULD be testing for iodine. blindly dosing will not give the effects that you want. testing the water is key before adding extra additives. you may have added too much iodine, but you wont know without testing before dosing. salifert and seachem make iodine test kits, and im sure most of the other test kit companies have an iodine test kit as well.

~mike

As I said before, I have done the same routine for 2-3 years now. I only add iodine once every 3-4 and possibly five times I do water changes. And I only add maybe 4-5 drops...this is a 135 gallons total tank. I wouldnt think this would have any adverse effects on it. Also I would think I would have had more of a problem before now.
Im not arguing but just restating my point. I have heard they dont make iodine test kits..maybe I will check into this. Also 3 out of 3 LFS said it was that the CBS probably was just old. I have had him at least 2 years...dont know if this is true but just relaying the info on. Also tested my water at a LFS and all is well as I stated above. All shrimp in my tank tonight are ok...we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom