CC as filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am changing my substrate from CC to live sand. Can I use the CC for a filter media in my wet/dry filter to help or replace my bio-balls? I have about 25lbs of live CC that is going to go to waste if not. If so, any ideas how to do so without the CC getting into my sump. Wet/dry and sump are in different containers and don't want to compromise my skimmer pump which is a huge power head.

interesting idea ! live rock rubble will work, crushed coral maybe - to be honest im not sure how good it would be at housing bacteria (I personally think lr rubble would be much better) but maybe someone else will chime with a better answer for you .

Wow, I know that I find a lot of pods and bristle worms in the CC and figured that the surface area of the cc is more than the bio-balls I have now. Rubble is hard to find around here. I thought of lava rock but was told that it would introduce harmful metals into the system. I would still like some ideas. Thank you all!

That's actually a really good question! Since the CC is not at the bottom of the tank, fish waste doesn't settle there (since you should have more flow) it could work, I think. It really comes down to which has more surface area. I think, at that level, both would be pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom