Celestial Pearl Danios - buy now or later?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm about to move this weekend, and I also have a 10 gallon that I just broke down because the lone betta I had in it passed away about 2 weeks ago. I debated back and forth about turning it into a terrarium or paludarium and getting fire belly toads or poison dart frogs, which would be awesome, but I decided that I'm not up for the project right now. I've always wanted Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras, and I've decided that now is the perfect time!

In my 10 gallon I want to do:

6 CPD
2 african dwarf frogs
5 habrosus cories (I've always wanted these guys too. Tried them with my betta but had to return them)
maybe 1 flame or honey gourami

My LFS has CPD for I believe $4 or $5, which looks like an insanely good price. I'm afraid I won't be able to find them when I move, and I'll be forced to order online, where they're somewhere around $7-$8. I can run the filter from my 10 gal in my well established 20 gal, but will that give me enough time to build up an acceptable biofilter for my 10 gallon? Should I just take a chance and set up my 10 gallon and let it run a few weeks and then worry about finding these rare little guys? Or should I take the deal and get them now? Input is appreciated!

I realized my question was not very clear:

This Sunday, I am taking apart both of my tanks and moving 4 hours away. My 10 gallon is empty and I am going to scape it an plan on stocking celestial Pearl danios/galaxy rasboras, among other things. My lfs here sells them for $4.50, whereas they are almost twice as expensive online, and I fear I won't be able to find them in a store once I move. My options are:

1. Let three filters run in my established 20 gallon, one with a new filter pad, from tonight until Sunday morning, purchase 6 CPDs from the lfs Sunday as I'm leaving, and put them in the tank Sunday night with one of the 3 filters, maybe one of the established ones from the 20 gal.

2. Set up my tank Sunday night and have it mostly planted hopefully over the next few weeks and very well established, then order the CPDs online or possibly find them in a store, but probably end up paying much more for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do NOT order them from Arizona Aquatic Gardens. I ordered five galaxy rasboras from there three arrived dead, two had that curved spine disease, completely pale, and sooooo skinny. It's been over a week and they just sit in a corner together. When we called them they offered us credit to order some more and pay an other $50 shipping. I don't mind paying shipping and paying for fish, but don't send me crappy sick fish. He said "well it's the nature of the business".

With that in mind I would buy them before you move.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow. That's awful. I'm so sorry! I've ways been afraid to order fish online, and you kind of confirmed my worst fears! Does anyone think getting them now would be a bad idea? I think I would really prefer being able to see them in person first to ordering online. Plus I don't want to pay more than I have to!

Usually, I would say to wait until the move is over and your tanks are set up and confirmed stable however, if you don;t have the opportunity to get them locally again, you may want to get them now. If you can set them up in a separate quarantine tank until the move and set up the eventual filter in your existing tank to start the process of accumulating bacteria in it. Once you set up the new tank in your new home, you can add that filter to it and you can then put the CPDs in there or continue the QT and keep the new filter on the existing tank.
Moving them should be easy. Pack the fish up in some water they are already in and seal the bag (unless you use buckets and aerators). Use an oversized bag so you can get about 3-4 hours of air in the bag before needing to open and re-aerate. Last year, I moved fish down from NJ to FL by doing what I just described. No mortalities :D

Good luck with your move.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about moving them since I'm already moving the rest of my fish. I don't have a QT tank to put them in though, so my plan was to put them on hold at the lfs and then pick them up on my way out on the day I'm moving. The rest of the fish I want to stock the tank with I'll wait on until the tank is more mature, but I've heard so many people say they can't find CPDs locally that I don't really want to take the chance. I have 3 filters for 20 gals, and I usually keep 2 in my 20 gal tank. The other is unused. I think I'll run all 3 in my 20 gal until the move, and then put one of the established filters in the 10 gal, leaving one established filter and one newer filter in the 20 gal. Hopefully that'll be enough to make the new tank stable enough for the CPDs. Thanks all!

Thanks. I'm not too worried about moving them since I'm already moving the rest of my fish. I don't have a QT tank to put them in though, so my plan was to put them on hold at the lfs and then pick them up on my way out on the day I'm moving. The rest of the fish I want to stock the tank with I'll wait on until the tank is more mature, but I've heard so many people say they can't find CPDs locally that I don't really want to take the chance. I have 3 filters for 20 gals, and I usually keep 2 in my 20 gal tank. The other is unused. I think I'll run all 3 in my 20 gal until the move, and then put one of the established filters in the 10 gal, leaving one established filter and one newer filter in the 20 gal. Hopefully that'll be enough to make the new tank stable enough for the CPDs. Thanks all!

If the store is willing to hold them for that long, I'd say let them do that and get them after you reset up the new tank. Yes, it might be a long trip but even more safer that way. I do a monthly sales trip which is 3 1/2 hours to my final destination and then I'll go look at the shops for fish to bring home. So these fish are traveling at least that long and most of the time, I just get home, open the bag and put an air stone in the opened bag until the morning when I am awake and can deal with the fish properly.
Just something to think about :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

I actually just called and they said they won't hold fish more than 24 hours, so that's a bummer. They have about 20 right now, and every time I've been on previously over the last year they had less than 5, and the owner said they don't order them very often, so I'm afraid that if I don't get them soon that they will be sold out and I'm out of luck. :(

My sister is still living here though, and I will visit her periodically, so I could take a chance and wait a few months and hope that they're still there :/

My sister is still living here though, and I will visit her periodically, so I could take a chance and wait a few months and hope that they're still there :/

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I was actually surprised when you said they'd hold them. Most places won't hold fish that long. ;))
Okay, OR you can go with plan "B" which is my post at #6 (y)

I think that's what I'll do. I don't have a QT tank, like I said, but I'm thinking there will be at least 6 left by Sunday. The only other option is to keep them in my 20 gallon until then, but it's already fully stocked. :/

Better then to wait and hope there are some left on Sunday. I wouldn't take a chance on putting them directly into an overstocked tank. All fish these days, unfortunately, really should be QTed before being put into a main display tank. Since they will be the only fish in the new tank, that can suffice as the QT tank for now. ;)
Good luck with your move. :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the advice!

you can use a 5 gal bucket with a sponge filter in it as a quaretten tank
take some of the media from your running filters and put it on the bottom of the bucket or squeeze it ( the water in it)into the sponge filter , do daily water changes or more
you can even run the sponge filter with a battery operated air pump while you are moving

They are great little fish! I liked the look of them online, but couldn't find any locally. Ended up ordering 6 online, paid a fortune in shipping, but love the little buggers :)
Good luck with yours, however you do it - they are fun. They are also small enough that they won't have too much bioload in the tank. I had a unique situation (long story) and ended up without a tank/filter while they and some other fish were being shipped. Borrowed some filter material from a reputable friend who happens to be an aquarium enthusiast to help get the cycle going. 8 weeks now, and they are doing well. If you happen to have such a friend nearby or a quality trustworthy LFS you might try the same.

PS, sorry about your Betta... I'm in a bit of a craze with them right now and have several nano tanks going! Entertaining little dudes :)

Thanks! Glad to hear it. I'm excited! I've never heard much from anyone else who's really had any before. I'm trying to figure out now how I want to scape the tank - if I want to do a more difficult hard scape or just stick some interesting plants in. Decisions, decisions!

Mine tend to school all over but mostly middle tank where the plants are shorter. Show offs I guess...

That's good to hear! From everything I've read they tend to be pretty shy, so I was thinking I would need to do something with lots of plant cover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom