Celestial Pearl Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is your experience with the danios? I have five and they seem more delicate than my neons. I started with nine. :-/ they used to all hide behind the filter intake and then I added plants. Now, the hide in the ludwigiea. They don't eat flakes and they seem to be wasting away slowly. They only eat live food. Micro worms and danfnia some times bb shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Very similar to yours. Started with 3 now have around 20+.

When there were 3 they ALWAYS were hiding. Then there were 10 more young ones and then a month later I had 9-10 more young ones again. It takes them some time to get growing and strong. I have been using Ken's growth formula I received from a friend. That is making a difference that I saw them grow well.

I have had the 3 since December and the others 2 and 3 months ago, so they are still young mostly.

Now though there are usually 2 bunches of them and they are much more lively and swim all around the tank. I have heard that around 6 on up start making the difference for them feeling secure.

Mine eat all things really, but they really don't seem to want to eat from the substrate. Freeze dried foods, Tubifex worms, Brine shrimp as well as frozen of the same, Hikari First Bites when they were littler and Micro Bites too, I also feed them a little bit of Marine flake, I grind up (with my finger and thumb) any hard foods because they have such tiny mouths I give them tiny foods.

Your Danios

What is your experience with the danios? I have five and they seem more delicate than my neons. I started with nine. :-/ they used to all hide behind the filter intake and then I added plants. Now, the hide in the ludwigiea. They don't eat flakes and they seem to be wasting away slowly. They only eat live food. Micro worms and danfnia some times bb shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone

Hello em...

I keep Rosey Danios. Very similar to your Pearls. Here's what I know: They're shoaling fish. Need to be in a group of at least 8. 10 or more is better. Small tanks aren't good for these fish, they're too active. A 20 G would be the smallest. They need heavily planted tanks. Especially thick areas of floating plants. Anacharis is a good one. They need a variety of food, like most fish. I feed a little mashed up flaked food from Cobalt. Some freeze dried tubifex worms from Tetra or Hikari and some frozen from Sally's San Fran Bay.

Danios are very hardy and tolerant of most water conditions as long as the tank water chemistry is steady. I keep the water temp around 76 degrees. Frequent water changes are a must. I'm a water changer. I change half the tank water weekly. I like to add a bit of standard aquarium salt too. Egglayers don't need it as much as Livebearers, but I still add a teaspoon or a bit more to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. For my tanks, a trace of aquarium salt is good for general fish health.

That's about all that comes to mind right now.

B

Hello em...

I keep Rosey Danios. Very similar to your Pearls. Here's what I know: They're shoaling fish. Need to be in a group of at least 8. 10 or more is better. Small tanks aren't good for these fish, they're too active. A 20 G would be the smallest. They need heavily planted tanks. Especially thick areas of floating plants. Anacharis is a good one. They need a variety of food, like most fish. I feed a little mashed up flaked food from Cobalt. Some freeze dried tubifex worms from Tetra or Hikari and some frozen from Sally's San Fran Bay.

Danios are very hardy and tolerant of most water conditions as long as the tank water chemistry is steady. I keep the water temp around 76 degrees. Frequent water changes are a must. I'm a water changer. I change half the tank water weekly. I like to add a bit of standard aquarium salt too. Egglayers don't need it as much as Livebearers, but I still add a teaspoon or a bit more to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. For my tanks, a trace of aquarium salt is good for general fish health.

That's about all that comes to mind right now.

B

Not that similar b, galaxy rasboras are not all that active, they're actually a bit reclusive, even in larger numbers. A 10g tank would be just fine for 12 of them as long as it's heavily planted. Not sure about.the salt but I think they'd rather not have it..
Emily, i had a group of these guys and they started out eating the frozen daphnia but most slowly water away, i found out later that they do not care for Temps above 78, i had them in 81 and it did them in..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Talking About Danios

Hello Brook...

Okay. What's missing here? Don't think we're on the same page. Em's talking about Pearl Danios, no?. The Rosey Danios are quite similar. I don't think I could pick out the Roseys from the Pearls if they were in the same tank.

What post are you talking about?

B

Hello Brook...

Okay. What's missing here? Don't think we're on the same page. Em's talking about Pearl Danios, no?. The Rosey Danios are quite similar. I don't think I could pick out the Roseys from the Pearls if they were in the same tank.

B
Google celestial pearl danios, if you can't distinguish between the two it's time for new glasses my friend..

Hello Brook...

B

also galaxy rasboras and celestial pearl danios are the same thing if that was part of the confusion

Pearl and Rosey Danios

Google celestial pearl danios, if you can't distinguish between the two it's time for new glasses my friend..

Hello again Brook...

Just checked this out. The pics of the fish I looked at still look similar to me. I have Rosies and they're a pink color, obviously. The Pearls looked a little different, possibly. Could be the power of suggestion. May be my water conditions have altered my fish a bit.

Oh well. As long as they're healthy.

B

Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus, ~1"):
Danio-margaritatus-displaying-males-1.jpg

Pearl Danio (Danio albolineatus, ~2"):
pearl-danio-01.jpg

I have the little small polka dotted ones :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411139924.450425.jpg

That is their 20g long. We keep adding plants to help them feel more comfortable but they are so shy! I even have a 3 week old long fin danio fry in with them and they run when he swims near. Guys, that fry could fit in their mouth. Other than the baby they have the tank to themselves.

I want more. They're very hard to find. My good lfs guy sold me all he had (9) and he is having a hard time getting more. Since them I'm down to five. We tried ordering. We ordered two separate times and only had 1 fish survive each time.

Also, I'm worry this wasting away disease is contagious and don't want too add anything else until I figure out if they're just wild caught and sensitive or if there is something wrong. Seriously my ottos are more hardy than these guys.

Sent from my iPhone

Very similar to yours. Started with 3 now have around 20+.

When there were 3 they ALWAYS were hiding. Then there were 10 more young ones and then a month later I had 9-10 more young ones again. It takes them some time to get growing and strong. I have been using Ken's growth formula I received from a friend. That is making a difference that I saw them grow well.

I have had the 3 since December and the others 2 and 3 months ago, so they are still young mostly.

Now though there are usually 2 bunches of them and they are much more lively and swim all around the tank. I have heard that around 6 on up start making the difference for them feeling secure.

Mine eat all things really, but they really don't seem to want to eat from the substrate. Freeze dried foods, Tubifex worms, Brine shrimp as well as frozen of the same, Hikari First Bites when they were littler and Micro Bites too, I also feed them a little bit of Marine flake, I grind up (with my finger and thumb) any hard foods because they have such tiny mouths I give them tiny foods.

Autumn did yours breed or did you keep buying more?

Sent from my iPhone

I have the little small polka dotted ones :) View attachment 250387

That is their 20g long. We keep adding plants to help them feel more comfortable but they are so shy! I even have a 3 week old long fin danio fry in with them and they run when he swims near. Guys, that fry could fit in their mouth. Other than the baby they have the tank to themselves.

I want more. They're very hard to find. My good lfs guy sold me all he had (9) and he is having a hard time getting more. Since them I'm down to five. We tried ordering. We ordered two separate times and only had 1 fish survive each time.

Also, I'm worry this wasting away disease is contagious and don't want too add anything else until I figure out if they're just wild caught and sensitive or if there is something wrong. Seriously my ottos are more hardy than these guys.

Sent from my iPhone

I would say your tank is way too open for them to feel secure. A lot more hardy stem plants and maybe some floaters to subdue the lighting a bit would help. I kept mine in a heavily planted 10 with a small clearing and I would see a majority of them most of the time simply because they knew they had cover if they needed it. They really aren't any less hardy than their larger cousins a long as you meet their needs. I also feed mine the same diet as my baby apistos, it consisted of bbs, young whiteworms, small daphnia and crushed flake. Brookster also touched on the temp point, they are a temperate fish preferring low to mid 70s as opposed to normal tropical temps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would say your tank is way too open for them to feel secure. A lot more hardy stem plants and maybe some floaters to subdue the lighting a bit would help. I kept mine in a heavily planted 10 with a small clearing and I would see a majority of them most of the time simply because they knew they had cover if they needed it. They really aren't any less hardy than their larger cousins a long as you meet their needs. I also feed mine the same diet as my baby apistos, it consisted of bbs, young whiteworms, small daphnia and crushed flake. Brookster also touched on the temp point, they are a temperate fish preferring low to mid 70s as opposed to normal tropical temps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The temp is at 79. I'll start to slowly turn them down every few days. An other option is to switch them with my neons in to my more heavily planted 10g, my only concern is the betta is in there. He schools with the neons but he would probably scare the galaxies right? I guess the betta can go to the 20 long too... What if I switch that light with a buildmyled light that can have the intensity adjusted? Or do you think the biggest problem is the lack of plants?

I like the look for that tank a lot. I'm hesitant to add too much. I doooooo have an other empty ten gal that I can set up for them and fill with clippings from the other tanks. Sigh. After the two angel breeders we are setting up that new tank would be number 9.

Sent from my iPhone

Just wanted to update, we treated the tank with a top fin medication that treated "wasting disease" and suddenly all the cpd's are waaaaaay more lively and eating. I'm going to wait a few more weeks before seriously looking to beef up their school.

As for the tank not having enough cover, we plan to let the plants in there fill in. Both the ludwigiea and the Italian Val are pretty invasive so it shouldn't take too long.

A little unrelated: these plants are pearling like crazy! This is a low tech tank, we don't even dose with liquid co2. I'm kinda bummed that these plants look better than my four other high tech planted tanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Autumn did yours breed or did you keep buying more?

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry for the late response, I missed this.:ermm:

Anyhoo, no I started with 3 for 8.99 each as a gift from my daughter, then couldn't find any near me that weren't that so expensive.

Then found a lfs that had them 4 for 10 but he gave them to me 5 for 10 and I got 2 bunches of 10 of them. 1 in the last batch is crippled, and 1 in the first batch I think maybe didn't make QT. So ~21 maybe, I can in no way count them, lol!

They are still little, the original 3 are adults now. To be honest the tank is such a jungle right now, I am not sure I could tell if I had babies in there!

Back
Top Bottom