Centerpiece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to find a really stunning centerpiece fish. This is 30 gallons and currently has:

3 Cory cats
4 fancy guppies
2 dwarf frogs
3 zebra danios
2 Blue long finned danios
3 neon tetras
15 ghost shrimp
4 mystery snails

I've added a few since my last post and they're doing really well! :) I would like to add a centerpiece fish. It's only 30 gallons so I really can't add anything with much size.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• image-122047358.jpg
    image-122047358.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 299
Maybe a German blue ram or a pearl gourami? Also you should up the danio and neon counts to at least 6 each, and possibly the cories too.

azmodan said:
Maybe a German blue ram or a pearl gourami? Also you should up the danio and neon counts to at least 6 each, and possibly the cories too.

Awesome. Thanks. I would love to make their schools bigger, you don't think I would be overstocked with that many?

What's your filtration like? My main concern is if you have any female guppies as they will undoubtedly reproduce.

azmodan said:
What's your filtration like? My main concern is if you have any female guppies as they will undoubtedly reproduce.

All of my guppies are males. I've had them a while with no reproduction yet, at least. I have two filters running that are supposed to go up to 20 gallons. I'm sure it needs a better filter. I just don't know anything about it.

For a 30g tank look into either honey gourami's (there are also sunset honey and golden honey color varieties) or some of the brightly colored dwarf gourami males. Any of these males would make a colorful stunning centerpiece for your tank.

Rivercats said:
For a 30g tank look into either honey gourami's (there are also sunset honey and golden honey color varieties) or some of the brightly colored dwarf gourami males. Any of these males would make a colorful stunning centerpiece for your tank.

Awesome! Thanks. I'm leaning towards a Gourami. The lfs hasn't had any that stand out to me yet. :) do you have an opinion on angelfish? I thought they were really aggressive, but apparently if you only have one it isn't as bad.

A 20g is too small for angelfish. Look up what some of the dwarf gourami's look like so you get an idea how awesome they are colored. You need a small gourami not one of the larger species.

Rivercats said:
A 20g is too small for angelfish. Look up what some of the dwarf gourami's look like so you get an idea how awesome they are colored. You need a small gourami not one of the larger species.

Alrighty. I'll do some research. This tank is 30 gallons.

Okay 1 angelfish can be in a 30 but your ghost shrimp and neons are likely to get eaten as the angel grows. It could also pick on your frogs and the anteane of your snails. A dwarf or honey gourami is a much better choice IMO.

Rivercats said:
Okay 1 angelfish can be in a 30 but your ghost shrimp and neons are likely to get eaten as the angel grows. It could also pick on your frogs and the anteane of your snails. A dwarf or honey gourami is a much better choice IMO.

Alright. I want everything to be peaceful, so no angel fish for me! Everyone I've asked has suggested gouramis. I believe that's what I will add. :) thanks!

CoryFan said:
Also, your gourami should brighten up once it feels safe and is at home.

How does that happen? I've noticed that my other fish are brighter once they feel at home too. I'm excited about planning on a gourami. I've never had one.

Also, do yall think I could add to my other schools and add a gourami? Not sure what my parameters really are, as I've been using test strips instead of an actual kit. I know they aren't accurate.

Dwarf Gourami are often weak and sickly. That is why Honey Gourami are recommended so often.

I think I will get one soon too!

CoryFan said:
Dwarf Gourami are often weak and sickly. That is why Honey Gourami are recommended so often.

I think I will get one soon too!

Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards a dwarf. Loved the article! It made me want to change the way I feed my fish!

Back
Top Bottom