Centerpiece fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K, i have an angel, 7 glowlight tetras, and 5 hatchetfish in my 40 gallon planted tank.
( i know thet the angel and glowlights might not work, but he is a runt :))
My question is, are there any centerpiece suggestions out there? I dont want another angel, or gouramis because mine always die. Also, no rams because they prefer the bottom and my tank is stocked at the bottom. Any ideas though? I realize there arent many! Thanks

I don't know about you, but I would make the angel the centerpiece.... they're awesome. :) but obviously you want something different. I know they're not considered centerpeice fish, but ottos are cool and dwell in all areas of the tank. (Bottom, and sides)
What kind of gouramis have you tried?

I am in the same boat as maxwellag, the angel seems to be the centerpiece of the tank. Really the best I could think would be fill out your glowlight school and maybe get some kind of bottom dweller like some kind of cory cats. I think it sounds like a nice set up.

adadkins1 said:
I am in the same boat as maxwellag, the angel seems to be the centerpiece of the tank. Really the best I could think would be fill out your glowlight school and maybe get some kind of bottom dweller like some kind of cory cats. I think it sounds like a nice set up.

They said their tank is stocked at the bottom though. Corys are extremely friendly though, so I don't see it being an issue.

With the current stocking I don't think the tank is fully stocked at the bottom. When I say bottom, I mean the strata. Glowlights, or at least mine, hang anywhere from 4 to 6 inches from the bottom. I just figured that way you have:
Corys- strata
Glowlights- suspended
Hatchets- surface
Angel- all levels

I don't really know what else you could do, because a single angel just screams centerpiece to me. :)

Yes, i see i have some explaining to do, sorry. I also have a featherfin and a peacock eel in the bottom strata, so thats why thats stocked. And i know my angel is a center, and i love mine, but i wanted something else a little bigger, just because i like a little bigger of fish. I have had dwarf gouramis, and that hasnt worked out. Sooo ya :)

Are you open to other dwarf cichlids, such as Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids (Apistogramma Cacatuoides)?

aqua_chem said:
Are you open to other dwarf cichlids, such as Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids (Apistogramma Cacatuoides)?

I totally would, but i never see them around here!

Shame that. They're beautiful and hardy.

You might try getting one off of aquabid. Online ordering is surprisingly reliable now. HN1 and Severum_Mama get them in once in awhile.

aqua_chem said:
Shame that. They're beautiful and hardy.

You might try getting one off of aquabid. Online ordering is surprisingly reliable now. HN1 and Severum_Mama get them in once in awhile.

Really? I never thought o them as a hardy fish, but i know that they have an incredible look! Problem with online, is the shipping :/

Anyone have any luck with festivums in a community tank?

Really? I never thought o them as a hardy fish, but i know that they have an incredible look! Problem with online, is the shipping :/

Anyone have any luck with festivums in a community tank?

They are actually quite hardy. I've never had one in a community tank, but I've heard plenty of reports of it.

You might put something on CL looking for fish. Who knows what kind of hobbyist are in the area.

aqua_chem said:
They are actually quite hardy. I've never had one in a community tank, but I've heard plenty of reports of it.

You might put something on CL looking for fish. Who knows what kind of hobbyist are in the area.

Thats actually a good idea. First ill ask my lfs though. Do you know much about festivums aqua_chem?

I would advise against the apisto with the current stock. IME, they stay toward the bottom like rams do, and the bottom is pretty darn full. Maybe somebody else has experience with apistos staying higher up than me, but I have known to them to stay toward the bottom.
Maybe some sort of killifish? They stay at the top. Another option could be a paradise fish. But, I think you are will be pretty full bioload-wise considering the sizes some of those fish reach. Maybe you should just give your stock a chance to grow. Then you can see if the glowlights will continue to do well with the angel/eel/featherfin. But, you can visit your lfs to see if they have any paradise fish or killis of any sort. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I would advise against the apisto with the current stock. IME, they stay toward the bottom like rams do, and the bottom is pretty darn full. Maybe somebody else has experience with apistos staying higher up than me, but I have known to them to stay toward the bottom.
Maybe some sort of killifish? They stay at the top. Another option could be a paradise fish. But, I think you are will be pretty full bioload-wise considering the sizes some of those fish reach. Maybe you should just give your stock a chance to grow. Then you can see if the glowlights will continue to do well with the angel/eel/featherfin. But, you can visit your lfs to see if they have any paradise fish or killis of any sort. :)

I like the idea of killi fish! Any cool types?

I like the idea of killi fish! Any cool types?
Gardneri are awesome. I do not know more off the top of my head. Golden wonders would probably be too aggressive for your glowlights, and most of the other species I can name are too small. You could google some. I will try to find a couple that could work.
They would have to be decently sized to avoid being potentially eaten by the featherfin/eel though. Thats why it might be better to let your current stock grow a bit to get a better idea of what will or won't ultimately work. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Gardneri are awesome. I do not know more off the top of my head. Golden wonders would probably be too aggressive for your glowlights, and most of the other species I can name are too small. You could google some. I will try to find a couple that could work.
They would have to be decently sized to avoid being potentially eaten by the featherfin/eel though. Thats why it might be better to let your current stock grow a bit to get a better idea of what will or won't ultimately work. :)

Ya, the glowlights are actually pretty large, maybe 1.5". And i like killis, they are colorful, but do they move around much? Do you know anything about festivums absolut? They have two of them at my lfs!

Ya, the glowlights are actually pretty large, maybe 1.5". And i like killis, they are colorful, but do they move around much? Do you know anything about festivums absolut? They have two of them at my lfs!
I have never kept them, so I could not say for sure. I agree that they are BEAUTIFUL though. :) I have heard some mixed reviews about keeping them in community settings, some people say YES and some say NOOOOO. But, never having owned them, I am not sure.
All the killis I know of are very active. They tend to be hyper little buggers. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I have never kept them, so I could not say for sure. I agree that they are BEAUTIFUL though. :) I have heard some mixed reviews about keeping them in community settings, some people say YES and some say NOOOOO. But, never having owned them, I am not sure.
All the killis I know of are very active. They tend to be hyper little buggers. :)

Great!! I want one so bad!

Back
Top Bottom