cfl bulbs for standard incandescent aquarium hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-chad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know I could easily go to Wal-Mart or home depot to check for myself but it's late, they're closed, and I'm impatient. :)

I want to replace my incandescent lights on 10 gallon with cfls. But I don't want to modify/rebuild my current hood.
Is it easy to find suitable daylight 6500k cfl bulbs that fit into standard incandescent hood fixtures without having to modify anything? And if so, does anyone have make/model/wattage suggestions?
It'll be for a 10 gallon shrimp tank with 2 incandescent sockets. I also have java moss, marimo ball, ludwigia, water sprite and wisteria.

It will be fine. I used daylight CFLs from walmart to replace the incandescents that came with the hood. I don't have the box in front of me at the moment but I believe I got the 10 watt bulbs.

Hi Chad, they make a linear shaped light bulb that fits in a standard hood specifically. They can be found in the fish section at Walmart or a big box pet store. The lower wattage CFL bulbs for household use also seem to fit pretty well.

Cool, thanks.

There are no big box pet stores where I live. Just small mom and pop shops. And Wal-Mart here has a very small pet section with very limited options. I'm thinkin home depot will likely be my best bet.

I found 13watt daylight (6500k)cfl bulbs at Dollarama for $2 each and they work great! My plants are booming!
Interestingly, the philips cfls sold at home depot say daylight on the box but no kelvin rating on the packaging. When I emailed Phillips customer service they responded b

Responded by saying that their daylight bulbs are 5000k.

None of the bulbs I found at Home Depot were above 5500k, it says on the package and the base of the bulbs you just have to hunt to find them.

Back
Top Bottom