Change Filter Cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chea313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the best way to change the filter cartridge in my filter? I know all of the good bacteria has grown on it, and it's beneficial to my tank. What's the best thing to do?

Whats the best way to change the filter cartridge in my filter? I know all of the good bacteria has grown on it, and it's beneficial to my tank. What's the best thing to do?
What type of cartridge is it. How old is it. Is it a sponge inside a plastic case??

It is a Whisper. I will attach a picture. The filter 'cartridge' that I have in there is 3 months old. It needs to be changed because the top of it has broken open and the fill inside of it is coming out into my tank.

Attachments

• image-951053239.jpg
    image-951053239.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 50
You can change the cartridge without any problems. You have bacteria in the sponge in the filter, in the substrate, on the decos, and on the tank walls.

Honestly, in my experience, the best way to run those tetra whisper XXi filters is to take foam like aquaclear foam, cut it into cubes, and fill the filter. Excellent mechanical and biological filtration. It's all you need and you'll never have to change a filter cartridge again.

You can change the cartridge without any problems. You have bacteria in the sponge in the filter, in the substrate, on the decos, and on the tank walls.
So I changed the cartridge yesterday and my tank is super cloudy. I did pre rinse the new cartridge to remove any dust from inside. Give it a few days I guess?

Honestly, in my experience, the best way to run those tetra whisper XXi filters is to take foam like aquaclear foam, cut it into cubes, and fill the filter. Excellent mechanical and biological filtration. It's all you need and you'll never have to change a filter cartridge again.

Where can I find the foam you're talking about? I'd be willing to make the swap from a cartridge to the foam. Seems more economical too.

Look up aquaclear replacement sponges. Or you can get them at Petsmart. I believe Aquaclear is now called Hagen-Aquaclear.

Where can I find the foam you're talking about? I'd be willing to make the swap from a cartridge to the foam. Seems more economical too.

Buy an Aquaclear 110 foam insert. Chop it up into cubes and fill your filter with them. When the filter flow reduces due to filter media soiling, just rinse out some of the cubes in tank water in a bucket. Never use tap water. You'll kill the beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom