Changed filter bag....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bgorenstein85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I changed my filter bag not realizing I needed the healthy bacteria and now I’ve had an ammonia spike. I’m trying to cycle the tank again using Stability.
I did a 75 percent water change.
I added a biobag filled with ammonia crystals to help reduce ammonia. No room in filter so I put this in the tank water, is that okay?
In the future how can I avoid this? Surely I can’t use the same filter bag forever?
Thank you,
Brian

Hi Brian, what kind of filter are you using? Do you have dedicated bio media? You should be able to replace your mechanical filtration without disrupting your cycle. Putting the ammonia crystals in the tank is fine but they won't help a ton. Keep doing water changes daily and using stability. Adding enough prime to detoxify ammonia would also be helpful.

I have a HOB tetra whisper. The water is very cloudy now. I’ve been adding prime and stability each day. Do I really have to do water changes every day? I didn’t have to do that the first time I cycled my tank and everything was fine. The only thing that could have cause such a drastic spike is changing to a new filter bag, nothing else makes sense.

The cloudy water is normal for a tank that's lost its cycle. If you have fish in the tank it is necessary to do daily water changes until the tank has regained it's cycle, it's necessary because fish can't tolerate ammonia so you need to remove as much as possible. Does your filter have a bio media section? You might need to add more or better media to keep a stable colony. Also be sure not to remove the bio media or clean it, don't let it dry out or be exposed to any chemicals. It might also be a good idea to set up a secondary filter like a sponge filter and clean them on alternating schedules.

Ammonia spike

My ammonia is 8.0 and won’t budge! On day 5 of stability cycle. Does stability cause high ammonia readings? My nitrite and nitrates are at 0 and my PH is at 6. What do these readings mean for my tank? What should I do to correct this ammonia spike and low ph?

My ammonia is 8.0 and won’t budge! On day 5 of stability cycle. Does stability cause high ammonia readings? My nitrite and nitrates are at 0 and my PH is at 6. What do these readings mean for my tank? What should I do to correct this ammonia spike and low ph?

8ppm is super high. You need to do a water change. Do you have fish that are alive in that tank? I would say an immediate 25-50% water change. Your Nitrites and Nitrates are at zero because your tank has not got that far along yet. Don't sweat the PH for now, just work on the cycle. After the water change check your ammonia again and get back to us.:popcorn::fish2:

Ammonia spike

Yes I have fish in the tank. Somehow they are still alive and seem fine. I’m wondering if the stability is giving me false readings of high ammonia?

Stability won't cause high ammonia readings. You need to do multiple large water changes ASAP until it's below 1ppm preferably below 0.5ppm. It might be a good idea to try a different quick cycle product such as API quick start, it sounds like stability isn't working.

Ammonia spike

I think I have ammonium not ammonia due to my 6.0 PH. My fish seem perfectly fine. I will do a partial water change though

Hello, this is how I stopped using filter cartridges on tetra 30/60 & 10i.
Pic 1=is how I seeded pot scrubbers. I removed bio sponge, took seeded filter cartridge off mounts, set it at a 45°angle & wedged 2 pot scrubbers front & back to hold in place. It stayed like for 3wks.
In pic 2=I put a 2x2x4in sponge next to impeller box on both sides so water so water flows threw them & the seeded scrubbies next to it.
In pic 3= I took everything out of filter box, placed sponge cut to sz on bottom, added the pot scrubbers, drilled 2 holes on both sides below spillway & used a piece of plastic coat hanger to hold everything in. You can also add filter floss between the sponge & scrubbers to control flow. The more floss you add the slower the flow.
I got the sponges at petco 2pak for 5$ & the scrubbies are 4pak for a 1$ at dollar tree. So for 6$ I can run the setup for about 8mo+ or longer if I'm gentle when cleaning in tank water. Hopefully this helps you!!!!! Screenshot_20200310-193443.jpegIMG_20200204_061641181.jpgScreenshot_20200310-204258.jpeg1587730236052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom