Changind can. filter to lr / am I doing it right? TIA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logman17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started this past weekend to change out the media that came with my EHEIM 2217 cannister filter to live rock rubble.

The rubble is from lr.com.

I had read to change out about 1/2 and then change out the other half in a couple of weeks.

I have changed out half of the media, put 1/2 lr rubble in.

I have not had any spikes or increased readings in the water chemistry. I am going to change out the other half next weekend.

Has anyone else done this? I am wondering if I should leave the filter pads in. If I do, should I move them to the top of the filter, thus making them the last line before water goes back into the tank? (also making it easier to change them w/o moving 25lbs live rock rubble evert 2 weeks)

Should I do away with them completely?

My water flow is like this:
Into cannister filter, then out to the UV ster., then out to the chiller, then into the tank via centipede output.

Also, will this rubble count toward the total for my tank (IE will it count toward the 2lb/gallon figures?)

Lastly, is there such a thing as too much live rock? After the changeout is complete, I will have 25lbs in the cannister, along with about 75-80lbs in the tank. It is a 47.5 gallon total volume, but much less if you count the displacement from the live rock.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Logan

Sorry for the bump, I'm just curious if anyone has done this before.

I read a lot of people talking about it, I would like to know how the transition went.

-Logan

Back
Top Bottom