changing a tank from salt to fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering are there any issues with cleaning and changing a tank from saltwater to fresh water? I have been looking around at used tanks and was just curious as alot of them have stated that they were salt tanks before.

The big thing is I believe some Salt water tanks have hole drilled into them to allow for filtration and water flow ... which is why they mentioned was used for saltwater tanks .. IMO.

Big.Jon said:
I was wondering are there any issues with cleaning and changing a tank from saltwater to fresh water? I have been looking around at used tanks and was just curious as alot of them have stated that they were salt tanks before.

You can use a deluded vinegar mix to clean it and baking soda can neutralize it IMO/E. As for a filter, I'd suggest getting new expendables (hose, nozzzles, etc) just to be sure.

Mr. Limpet said:
You can use a deluded vinegar mix to clean it and baking soda can neutralize it IMO/E. As for a filter, I'd suggest getting new expendables (hose, nozzzles, etc) just to be sure.

Thanks sounds good

SW tank often have crusted coraline, etc which can be a pain to remove. You will need to scrape with a razor, and prob need full strength vinegar. Otherwise, it is not a problem that some elbow grease & lots of washing can't fix.

If you have a drilled tank, that is a plus even for FW. That allows you to run a sump if you contemplate keeping messy fish. If you don't want a sump, you can close off the holes with the proper bulkhead fittings.

Back
Top Bottom