Changing filter cartridges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it bad to not change your filter cartridge at all? I know the instructions say once a month but ive heard of not changing them out at all. Any opinions on this?

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only change when they are falling apart, I take mine out once a month, very slowly otherwise crud will get stirred up in filter and blow back into tank, and shake it out in bucket of tank water. Than slowly replace, let it sit for a couple min than fire up the filter again.

So far what ive been doing is wrinse and shake it off once a week then put it back ive had it in there for about 2 and a half months and the water still flows through the pads just fine

In old tank water and i do it to make sure they dont clog

I was just wondering if theres any ill effects or problems that might come up

You DONT want to replace the pads. The manufacturer just wants you to buy more, they don't care about the health of your fish. The filter media holds the beneficial bacteria that is essential for a healthy aquarium. If you are constantly changing out the pads your tank will always be cycling and that is not good for your fish. The best filters to have are ones that you don't need those blue pads. Being able to customize your media is better for long term use. I haven't change my sponge or ceramic in over 3 years.

You DONT want to replace the pads. The manufacturer just wants you to buy more, they don't care about the health of your fish. The filter media holds the beneficial bacteria that is essential for a healthy aquarium. If you are constantly changing out the pads your tank will always be cycling and that is not good for your fish. The best filters to have are ones that you don't need those blue pads. Being able to customize your media is better for long term use. I haven't change my sponge or ceramic in over 3 years.
We 're getting there Eli , let's first get used to monthly rinsing of media in use;)

Lol ive seen those! I got the filter cartridge ones before i found out about hagen aquaclear i have a 55 gal tank that i will be using those for it

Is it bad to not change your filter cartridge at all? I know the instructions say once a month but ive heard of not changing them out at all. Any opinions on this?

You'll have to change it out eventually. When you do, for the type of filter cart that most power filters use, rip atleast a good chunk of that outer layer off and shove it in with the new filter cart to help seed it quickly. Do not do a thorough cleaning of the entire filter at the same time as changing the cart. Another method I use with some of the power filters that have just that one type of filter media, is to add a nylon bag with extra filter fiber or ceramic rings into the open space on the side. That way you can change out just one of your media types at a time, which is of course what you already want to be doing with the larger filters that take more than one cart.

Actually i have two large filters on it and i change the filter pads a month sometimes 2 months apart from each so there is always bacteria

Back
Top Bottom