Changing filters. Any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently using an aqua tech 5-15 filter for my 10 gallon. I'm changing to a aqua clear 20 filter so I can use the biomax and what not. Just in general I heard its a better filter, plus my tank is a little overstocked. So should I do anything before I change? Or can I just swap them out? Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I would keep the aqua tech for a month after you get the aqua clear because other wise most of your bb will be gone

I would keep the aqua tech for a month after you get the aqua clear because other wise most of your bb will be gone

bb?? Sorry I'm new at this! Not familiar with all the shortcuts! So you think I should keep my aqua tech in for a month longer? It's been in the tank since I got it.

Bb is beneficial bacteria basically it is what keeps ur tank clean, and the bb lives in the filter pads so when you throw a filter out all the bb leaves your tank with the filter so keep the aqua tech for a month so that way the aqua clear has time to colonize with bb. Also so you have the API master liquid test kit?

Bb is beneficial bacteria basically it is what keeps ur tank clean, and the bb lives in the filter pads so when you throw a filter out all the bb leaves your tank with the filter so keep the aqua tech for a month so that way the aqua clear has time to colonize with bb. Also so you have the API master liquid test kit?

No, I just use ammonia and ph/nitrate test strips

Fish dude is right - you should keep it an extra month to have the beneficial bacteria colonize your other filter. All that BB should be on your gravel and deco as well, but this just helps make sure that you don't lose a huge population of them all at once. Beneficial bacteria eats the bad stuff.

Here's a tip - you will likely have an issue with too much water flow with two filters going in a 10 gallon - while I'm not sure about the Aqua Clear 20, my AC 50 has a flow dial on it where you can regulate the flow strength of the water. I'd turn that down all the way when you have both filters running.

Fish dude is right - you should keep it an extra month to have the beneficial bacteria colonize your other filter. All that BB should be on your gravel and deco as well, but this just helps make sure that you don't lose a huge population of them all at once. Beneficial bacteria eats the bad stuff.

Here's a tip - you will likely have an issue with too much water flow with two filters going in a 10 gallon - while I'm not sure about the Aqua Clear 20, my AC 50 has a flow dial on it where you can regulate the flow strength of the water. I'd turn that down all the way when you have both filters running.

Another thing I forgot to mention. The filter I'm using now has only been active about 4-5 days. The tank is fairly new. So now much BB would even be built up would it? Still leave it in you guys think?

You will need to buy the API master test kit it is only 30 bucks and it is the best one and the only accurate test kit on the market the strips are really bad

You can get the API master test kit at amazon for under $20. Just do a search. I got mine there for $18 shipped. I have started checking for everything there before buying it elsewhere.

Are you familiar with the cycling process? How long has the tank been set up?

Not so much. I have heard of it. The tank has been up for about 2-1/2 weeks. I started with a small filter and soon after upgraded to the same version but bigger about 5 days ago. Now I'm deciding to keep the same size, just change brands.

I'm currently using an aqua tech 5-15 filter for my 10 gallon. I'm changing to a aqua clear 20 filter so I can use the biomax and what not. Just in general I heard its a better filter, plus my tank is a little overstocked. So should I do anything before I change? Or can I just swap them out? Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I would install the aqua clear along side your aqua tech 5-15 and let it run for atleast a month, or longer if possible, or even keep it on incase one happens to quit working, nothing wrong with extra filtration!

Back
Top Bottom