Changing filters with established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broncovin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all My question today is I am going to swap filters in my established 30 gal freshwater tank. I currently use a Aquaclear 50 and I plan on switching to a flu cal canister for overall better filtration. The issue is how can I avoid the effects of removing all the beneficial bacteria that has been developed in my current filter when I install the new filter. Keep in mind I don't have the luxury of a temporary home to keep my fish while the tank recycles. Any thoughts????

I would leave both filters running for a few weeks, that will get the new one started before you remove the old one

Could I put the old filter media in the new canister? Will that speed things up?

move some of the media from the 50 over to the fluval when you transfer, and then run them both side by side like a previous person mentioned for a week or two. It should help tremendously.
Plus, all the BB in your tank on substrate and decor should be helpful. Usually,worst case scenario is you'll only have a mini-cycle

Back
Top Bottom