Changing Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deacon22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a 20 gallon tank that came with a Top Fin filter with the carbon cart. I wanted to upgrade the filter, so I went and bought a Aqua Clear 50. I read posts on this site that says I should run both filters for a few weeks. After the couple of weeks are up, should I just go with the Aqua Clear since it is a relatively small tank, or should I just keep running the two filters.

The Aqua Clear is really quiet, the Top fin is a little noisy but bearable.

Ya run them both for a few weeks to build up the bacteria in it then shut the other one off. The AC should be good enough for that tank. At less your planning on setting up a new tank soon then leave them both running and change one over to the new tank.

eduguy said:
Just running a filter can build up bacteria?

It builds up good bacteria that's needed to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. So by him running both it will give the new one time to build up bacteria.

It builds up good bacteria that's needed to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. So by him running both it will give the new one time to build up bacteria.

If you just set up a tank and just run the filter does it build up any bacteria?

eduguy said:
If you just set up a tank and just run the filter does it build up any bacteria?

No unless it already has bacteria in it

Brox said:
No unless it already has bacteria in it

Actually I mean it will but you have to add ammonia or something

eduguy said:
Oh. How much does Pure Ammonia cost.

Its not expensive. But you would be better to let them both run if you're going to start another tank. That will give you the bacteria you need to cycle the new tank. If you start cycling a new tank with old media (a filter from the stablished tank) you can cycle the new tank in a matter of days instead of weeks. If use the ammonia method, you will be starting the nitrogen cycle from scratch.

No problem :) You understand why to keep it running if your going to set up a new tank soon or is that not going to happen?

I understand why Andrew. I am not getting another tank. I just started with the Top Fin and then after research saw that the carbon cart. type filters weren't the best. Mostly Aqua Clear has great reviews on the forums so I decided to switch. The AQ 50 was only $3 more than the AQ 30 so I figured it was worth it.

Deacon22 said:
I understand why Andrew. I am not getting another tank. I just started with the Top Fin and then after research saw that the carbon cart. type filters weren't the best. Mostly Aqua Clear has great reviews on the forums so I decided to switch. The AQ 50 was only $3 more than the AQ 30 so I figured it was worth it.

It's worth it, more is always better :) good luck with the fishys

Deacon22 said:

normally you only use carbon filters if removing medication from the water. And even then they are pretty short lived. The carbon saturates fairly quickly then wnds up releasing it back into the water. Think you will be pretty happy with aquaclear !!

Id leave both filters running all the time. Its not gonna hurt anything and once your MTS kicks in, you'll have a filter ready!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom