Changing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
When i started my first proper tank 6 months ago i didnt really have any idea about the selection of fish available at any lfs, i only really upgraded my tank to 290 ltrs cos my two fancy goldfish looked a little cramped in a 15 ltr without filter, i had no idea of anything before the tank was delivered to my place to be honest, i learned about cycling my tank the night i filled it with water, opting for fish in cycle cos i figured they would be better off in a 290 un cycled than a 15.
Along the way i added some zebra danios and some white clouds and as soon as it had cycled i added two orandas and there lies my problem, while i adore my goldfish ( 1 male 3 females ) theyre really limiting my options, i recently added but had to remove a school of giant danios ( which were awesome ) because they were just too **** quick and my clouds were struggling to get any food, i want to be able to have more than just 4 fish in my tank.
I think ive made the decision to move my goldfish on ( 1 of my lfs is an oranda fan ) and step up to a more challenging tank but ive had them since i started getting my sleeves wet and i cant bring myself to do it.. I dont have a problem taking fish back to dont work in a community tank but these guys have done nothing wrong and id really hate to see them get divided.. I currently know no people with fish tanks so you guys are it.

My questions are:
Have you done it?
Is it common to return fish that have been in home aquariums for a while?
Should i just suck it up and get it done?

Yeah, I've returned fish I've had for awhile before. Trust me I worry like you do. But just the other day I talked to a lady at petsmart about how they do their returns and they are actually really good at it. I always thought they just killed them lol. But they actually monitor them for awhile and put them back out for sale. So I assume any fish store would take great care in finding a new home for fish. Petco takes in fish when people don't want them I don't think petsmart does tho. Especially if big chains do it a smaller fish store will be sure to take care of them. You could also always see if there is a Facebook aquarium group for your area. Or Craigslist. There are some people out there with really nice fish tanks looking for fish.

Yes. It is a common occurrence. You should do what you feel is right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom