Changing fw to sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelerfish412

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have a 55 gallon malawi tank set up and was wondering what I would need to change to sw. I have an aquaclear 70 filter and was eventually going to get a canister ( which one would be best for the change?) also have a 425 gph circulation fan. Recently put in argonite substrate for african cichlids (small rocks and various small shells) and have a tufa rock wall. Not sure what type of heater I have it's fairly big and keeps my tank steady at 80. My ph is usually around 8.2. So what I'm asking is what am I missing for the change?

image-1241896201.jpg

Breeder net is for two gouramis that I had from the set up

Youll wannt to change the canister to a sump. Youll need a ton more stuff dependng on how envolved you get into saltwater like a reef. You will need a protien skimmer and bigger powerheads. Also if your planning on keepng any type of coral youll need to make sure your lights are strong enough.

I didn't get the canister but I am slowing trying to pick up stuff and start out slow. what type of sump and protein skimmer I'm not trying to go cheap but also not trying to go bankrupt just want something reliable. I would like to start slow maybe some small fish and live rock eventually start a reef.

I didn't get the canister but I am slowing trying to pick up stuff and start out slow. what type of sump and protein skimmer I'm not trying to go cheap but also not trying to go bankrupt just want something reliable. I would like to start slow maybe some small fish and live rock eventually start a reef.

If hour trying to save money then I'd look on Google for DIY sumps because they are not cheap at all. With protein skimmers you don't want to be to cheap on but I believe ( sorry it's been a few years since I had salt) one that's rated to do 150-200 gallons. I think they say double your tank size. Its been so long I really can't give you brand names. Hopefully someone else will chime in

Back
Top Bottom