Changing Magnum 350 filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lillibirdy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I am helping with a tank that hasn't had media changed in like 6 months, (maybe more). It is a Magnum 350 canister. When I change it I will be using the poly fiber stuff in the bag from wal mart. My question is, it is very dirty, and I am worried that if I change it all at once some of the biologic balance will be missing and the tank will start a cycle again, or something worse.
(4 mollies and a pleco),in a 45 gallon tank, but I hear couple have died recently. Checked water quality with strips, and surprisingly that all seems right on... Just don't want to cause a bigger problem.

Thanks
Lillibirdy

Just swish it around in dirty tank water, I wouldnt do much to the bacteria on it.

Just a heads up, strips are very inaccurate and give you false readings everytime. Liquid test kits are more accurate and I recommend the API master test kit.

Thanks for the tip on the tests. As far as the media, it is not gonna be rinse and use again, it is pretty slimy and will need replaced. Do I have to do it a bit at a time? If I just change out all of it, anything I can do to prevent a crash?

If you can, what you really want to do is rinse the old media in used tank water, it will be slimy and squishy on your fingers. Now if you want to replace it, you want to run it with the new media for a few weeks first.

If you just throw out the old media and put new stuff in you will most likely suffer from a mini-cycle. If you can replace 1/4 per week or stage it so it's not all removed at once you'll be doing yourself a huge favour.

Ok I will think about slimy and squishy...lol. So in the future how often to change/rinse a big magnum canister filter media?

Thank you very much for your input.
Lilly

I do mine every 30 days 1/2 at a time. I rinse the media in tank water and replace the media only if needed. I replace the polishing pads every 7-10days.

I'm not familiar with that canister, but mostly people like to rinse out their filter every second week during a partial water change. If it's really messy maybe do it weekly, if it's really clean, maybe you can get away with monthly.

The important thing is to use old tank water so you don't kill the good bacteria thats on the filter.

Dear Lilly Bird:

Although the "by-the-book" method dictates that you must NOT throw out all of the filter material in one go - i disagree. If I understand correctly you have a 45 gallon with three or four fish in it?

The bio-load on that tank is minimal and swapping in a new filter (that will be readily populated with the existing bacteria from the glass walls, rocks, and decorations) will not be a problem. You MAY undergo a mini-cycling - no biggie.

Of course, I mean THIS ONE TIME. It's obvious your maintenance schedule got a little away from you. Sometimes that happens - (just hang your head in shame and get on with it :)

Since you said it's been SIX MONTHS or more, i would get that junky cartridge the **** away from my tank PRONTO. It's doing more damage than good and is probably leaching toxins BACK INTO the tank. (Er... did you said DEAD fish?) - I ask you, how healthy a tank does that sound.

I own two of these monsters and they are among the most versatile filters I use. ALSO buy some CARBON IN A MILK CARTON type packaging:

product.do

And fill the (optional) black and white "cage-like" thingy (I KNOW - incredible instructions) that your husband may have bought with that filter system.
502918.jpg

The idea is you can put stuff in this plastic compartment and CARBON will be a nice touch to PURIFYING the water in this tank after such a long time no maintenance.

ps: plz post back and let us know what your Wal*Mart solution does. When does the tank owner return from duty?

---

Hi,
I am helping with a tank that hasn't had media changed in like 6 months, (maybe more). It is a Magnum 350 canister. When I change it I will be using the poly fiber stuff in the bag from wal mart. My question is, it is very dirty, and I am worried that if I change it all at once some of the biologic balance will be missing and the tank will start a cycle again, or something worse.
(4 mollies and a pleco),in a 45 gallon tank, but I hear couple have died recently. Checked water quality with strips, and surprisingly that all seems right on... Just don't want to cause a bigger problem.

Thanks
Lillibirdy

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the input. No one is deployed, lol. It is my apartment neighbors tank, her hunny left. I just got it cleaned. I followed your advice and dumped all the junk, and got some carbon. But, it will probably have a cycle. The stuff inside where the carbon will usually go, was where aaaall the white wal mart batting was, and BOY was it black and slimy. So I got a new blue outer sleave, and tossed the inside batting with all the black slime, and put carbon in there instead. There are now about a dozen molly babies in there now, so I hope the cycle doesn't hurt them. I am waiting to see if she will sell me this tank. I know pretty much how to move them so it will not have to cycle again, but now I have to wait and see what happens with this cleaning! BTW after I rinsed the blue filter in tank water I tossed it temporarily in the top of the tank, it is just floating there... I guess I am worried and hoping it will help with the sudden change in bio filtering. You think the babies will survive a cycle?

Thanks again!
Lilly

Back
Top Bottom