Changing my 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManiacMagoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help on fish choice for my 55gal tank. I plan to turn it into a live plant tank with ecolife and co2. I'm getting a store credit for my to breeding Dempsies to help start getting my stuff. Later this summer / fall they will end up getting moved into a 200gal tank when I get ready to upgrade.

Only fish I have decided on so far are Blue german rams. I'm wanting a more active tank with schools of fun active fish. I would like to get a nice variety but don't want to waiste money on something that might not be compatible with rams. Thanks for your input.

Well seeing as how I am new to the forum I will first say hello. Now to your question; I think that rams are a good choice as a "centerpiece fish". Australian Rainbows are a great fish to have in a planted community fish and they will school the instant you add them to the tank. As well any of the larger Tetras will do nicely. They too school with the rainbows and are a harty fish and can stand any water quality issues you may have during the beginning stages of plant development i.e. increased nitrate levels and algae blooms. As always stay away from the classic plant eaters for example tinfoil barbs, sliver dollar fish etc. These fish are quite happy to destroy your hard work and waste your money. Have you thought of discus?

maybe 3 discus would be ok in a 55 but active schooling fish? i would go with severl types of tetras...cardinals,black neons,glowlite, silver tip, blue tetras....jus find a good mix of those and ur tank shgould be active!

Well I have finally figured out the fish I will stick in it.

Fish in it now:

2 cory cats
6 harlequin rubora
1 pleco

Fish that will be added over time:

6 German Blue rams
6 cory cat
8 cherry barbs
1 pleco
8 cardinal tetra's

Then I will be going back to getting everything ready for my 200gal that they will live in once I get everything for it.

ManiacMagoo said:
Well I have finally figured out the fish I will stick in it.

Fish in it now:

2 cory cats
6 harlequin rubora
1 pleco

Fish that will be added over time:

6 German Blue rams
6 cory cat
8 cherry barbs
1 pleco
8 cardinal tetra's

Then I will be going back to getting everything ready for my 200gal that they will live in once I get everything for it.

You could stand to have a topfeeder or 2..... maybe a single dwarf gourami? That would work w/ your list. But good levelling... alot of bottom feeders, and some good schooling middle. Cherry barbs are typically calm, so I would think they should work w/ a gourami.... but ya never know, sometimes ya get a wierd one or two.

I love Hatchets but don't feel like peeling them off my wall like I had to do in the past. I thought about maybe a dwarf gourmi.

Back
Top Bottom