Changing my stock. What else can I add to my 29G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The basics: 29g, AC50, sand substrate with no plants.

Current stock: 5 Harlequin's and 2 Cherry Barbs.

I'm adding 3 more CB's this upcoming week for sure. My question is, what else can I add? The sky is the limit, I know lol. There's tons of nice community fish out there. What I was thinking was (and this is where I need help knowing if it'll work...)

5x Celestial Pearl Danio's
5x Galaxy Rasbora's
5x Harlequin Rasbora's
5x Cherry Barbs

According to AqAdvisor, it's feasible, but I need to know for sure before I try and hunt these CPD's and Galaxies down all over the city lol. If that stock does work out (CPD's are what I'm not sure will work,) what could I add or what should I add, as I'll still have roughly 30-40% more stocking room? As we all do I'm sure, we get bored and need change. I'm going through that now! :)

:thanks:

Celestial pearls = galaxy rasboras. Same scientific name, different common names.

Do you want activity along the bottom of the tank? Cories, kuhlis?
I prefer the look of fewer large schools of fish compared to several small ones. I think it's also just best for the fish to have more buddies. I say cross a couple species off that list and bump up the numbers.

In my 2 29s, i have 3 schools of fish, one in each stratum, and a centerpiece. I like the balance. I have 9 harlequins in one of them, and they add beautiful color!

A few cories for the bottom, but if your not looking to go that route, I'd say bump your cherry barbs and h. Rasboras to 7 each and then either consider 5-7 rummynose tetras, cardinal or neon tetras or gold barbs. I think the yellow of the gold barbs would make a nice color compliment to your stock. It' s nice small barb that I feel often doesn't get much attention.

gabysapha said:
Celestial pearls = galaxy rasboras. Same scientific name, different common names.

Do you want activity along the bottom of the tank? Cories, kuhlis?
I prefer the look of fewer large schools of fish compared to several small ones. I think it's also just best for the fish to have more buddies. I say cross a couple species off that list and bump up the numbers.

In my 2 29s, i have 3 schools of fish, one in each stratum, and a centerpiece. I like the balance. I have 9 harlequins in one of them, and they add beautiful color!

That's weird because galaxy rasbora's look different than CPD's. Good to know that they're the same, though.

My Harlequin's stay middle to top and the Cherry Barbs are more middle to bottom. Maybe 7 of each, a centerpiece, and some CPD's. Does that sound like too many schools? What would be a good centerpiece? Honey Gourami?

jcolon said:
A few cories for the bottom, but if your not looking to go that route, I'd say bump your cherry barbs and h. Rasboras to 7 each and then either consider 5-7 rummynose tetras, cardinal or neon tetras or gold barbs. I think the yellow of the gold barbs would make a nice color compliment to your stock. It' s nice small barb that I feel often doesn't get much attention.

Golden Barbs look nice. Just Googled them. Definitely a strong consideration! Adding this many fish should be strung out over 4-5 weeks you think?

Ceej said:
Golden Barbs look nice. Just Googled them. Definitely a strong consideration! Adding this many fish should be strung out over 4-5 weeks you think?

Yeah, I'd say add them over the next few weeks so you don't overload your bio filter. Bump up your cherry's and rasboras first, then the goldbarbs. Are you considering a center piece fish? Maybe a dwarf gourami?

jcolon said:
Yeah, I'd say add them over the next few weeks so you don't overload your bio filter. Bump up your cherry's and rasboras first, then the goldbarbs. Are you considering a center piece fish? Maybe a dwarf gourami?

Ok. Yeah, a gourami is what I was thinking!

What would be a different centerpiece fish that would go well in a community tank? Most likely will get a Honey Gourami, but just keeping my options open lol.

I personally LOVE the Pearl Gourami. They stay pretty small and are peaceful.

I'm not as familiar with pearl, but you could also look at the powder blue or flame gourami. I'm certain one of those three would make a nice center piece fish.

As I read on the site below, it says for the Honey Gourami that floating plants, dark substrate, and to avoid heavy circulation. Well, I have PFS as my substrate, no floating plants and my AC50 water flow stirs up the water quite a bit. Should I avoid this Gourami and are the Pearl, Flame and Powder Blue Gourami the same?

Honey Gourami - Trichogaster chuna

That's weird because galaxy rasbora's look different than CPD's. Good to know that they're the same, though.

My Harlequin's stay middle to top and the Cherry Barbs are more middle to bottom. Maybe 7 of each, a centerpiece, and some CPD's. Does that sound like too many schools? What would be a good centerpiece? Honey Gourami?
If they don't look the same, then they aren't galaxy rasboras, since that's the old name for CPD's. Take a pic of them and we can identify them for you.

siva said:
If they don't look the same, then they aren't galaxy rasboras, since that's the old name for CPD's. Take a pic of them and we can identify them for you.

I was going by the internet pictures.

That's so strange. Now both pictures/websites make them look the same. IDK what fish I saw earlier then.

OH I'm sorry, I just re-read the first post and realize you want to add these, they are not already in the tank. Now I get it. ;) Still your original number for them is good. They are really small and timid schoolers, so a school of 10 of them would be great.

siva said:
OH I'm sorry, I just re-read the first post and realize you want to add these, they are not already in the tank. Now I get it. ;) Still your original number for them is good. They are really small and timid schoolers, so a school of 10 of them would be great.

Lol, okay :)

Update

How about an update..

Did you choose to go with the Galaxy Rasboras? If so how many, how are they doing, how do you like them?

Sorry for the interigation :). Just curious about this fish!

I actually did not get them yet lol. I increased the cherry barbs and got a few more ghost shrimp. 3 of the shrimp were prego, so I didn't add the galaxies because I wanted to save the shrimp fry. No luck in that, though. I'll update again if I add anymore, but I may be moving out of state soon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom