Changing over from filtered water to tap, anyone disagree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishyfanatic said:
I do just that Franco. The python is the best invention for water changes. After removing the water with the python I add the new water and put enough Prime in the tank for the entire tank volume. Considering how little Prime you have to use, it's not a big deal. :D Kudos to you for taking the plunge!

And just to add to that, I've repeatedly read that it's nearly impossible, if not impossible, to overdose on Prime or any other conditioner, so if you err on the side of adding a little more than you might otherwise need, you shouldn't have any problem.

On the temperature issue: My tank setup came with one of the stick-on-the-outside strip thermometers. I went and bought one of the common glass with rubber suction cup theremometers at either Walmart or Petsmart (can't remember which) for about 2 bucks. So when I'm ready for my water change, I check the tank temp, and then pop out the thermometer. I then just hold it under the tap, and it's a snap to get the tap water very close to the tank temp. It's so easy, I would feel guilty not doing it.

Oh, and not that this is important, but...I don't actually have a "python." Mine is a knockoff brand that was a little cheaper (which I didn't know at the time because it was the only brand that particular lfs had, and they completely sold me on the idea of having it). Mine is made by Lee's, and seems to be working out great. I got a 25 foot, but they come in other lengths as well.

Same here Bosk. I have the cheaper knock off Lee's Aquarium brand. James' mother purchased the Python and I think they are the same thing. So either brand is good.

i just put my order in on big al's for the 50" python for 39.99, and a 500ml of prime. I'll keep you guys posted.

How'd you find the 50' one? lol. When I got mine ordered, I could only find the 75' and 100' on their site, so I got the 75', lol. Will be arriving Tuesday. :)

i just type python system and i found the 25 50 75, and 100 foot. I just hope i have enough pressure to push it.

Same here. During the summer is no problem, as I can use the outside faucet. But it's below freeing now, and have the outside water turned off and drained. So I have either the kitchen sink or the master bath sink. The kitchen sink is the furthest away.

So i did my first python water change, thing works nice and def alot quicker. I just have one question tho, the water thats coming out of the tank when i do a gravel vac doesn't look all that dirty or like theres particals coming out of it from the gravel. Usually when i was using the other gravel cleaning i would be getting alot of debrie i guess you could call it, how do i know if the gravel is actually getting clean? I mean the water looked awfully cloudy when i add it back in, but it cleared up after about an hour.

Ya, i mean im getting a bunch of gravel in the tube and letting it suction up and clean inside the tube and dropping it back down, but it just doesn't look like theres debrie flitering through the tubes i guess you could say. I mean i did a gravel vac a week before maybe there wasn't alot of stuff to be picked up you know. I just didn't know if anyone else sees the particals and diry water coming through the tube when you guys use it?

It depends on the fish in the tank. Our 150 is like solid nasty gunk. But the 55, I barely notice a piece of fish waste going up the tube.

Most of this has already been covered. We have had over 70 tanks in our maintenance schedule and we use tap water on all of the tanks. The interesting part is that the water sources for the tanks come from various wells as well as city treatment. We did as most have already said and tested the water, kept notes, and made the necessary adjustments. So far so good as far as fish survivability.

to be honest.. it would depend on what type of filtered water you were using in the fist place to try and prevent NO2, NO3, NH3/NH4, PO4 in the first place.. if it didnt include DI then tap water would be no diffent in its components IMHO..

Back
Top Bottom