Changing shape? A sign of what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Throughout my limited fish keeping career, I've had a few fish change shape, then soon die. By change shape, I mean, some have become slightly curved, some when looking from above (look a bit wavy). Some form an arch when their bodies once were straight. Or the tail end
will bend down. Or just overall not looking themselves. Is there one thing particular that causes this? Or is it a symptom of several possible reasons? <Im sure that will be the answer, but I thought I'd ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Throughout my limited fish keeping career, I've had a few fish change shape, then soon die. By change shape, I mean, some have become slightly curved, some when looking from above (look a bit wavy). Some form an arch when their bodies once were straight. Or the tail end
will bend down. Or just overall not looking themselves. Is there one thing particular that causes this? Or is it a symptom of several possible reasons? <Im sure that will be the answer, but I thought I'd ask.

That's an interesting question. I've put down a few ideas below.

Old age.

Parasites / internal bacterial infection.

Bad genetics.

Old age is key here. Think abt how any animalia loses shape and bends.... IE, our grandparents. Hunched with canes, getting shorter..... I like this question. There are a bevy of reasons why this could happen though. Cant wait to see the responses.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll add water quality and vitamin deficiency...
So ;
Old age
Infection
bad genes
Water quality
vitamin deficiency

What type of fish is it Shana?
Tanks size ,filter and how long set up?
Can you give us more history on other fish deaths and your aquarium maintenance schedule ;water change how much/how often.

She was a swordtail I'd had about 8 mos.
The tank has been set up for about a year. 26 gallon - weekly 20-30% water changes
Filter is a Aqueon Quietflow 30.

Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Ph - 7.2

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had a pearl gourami die today. Not sure why. He was missing an eye when I got him and the space where the eye should have been looked sunken in more than usual.

Also, lost a green flame tetra 2 mos ago.

However neither of these were "bent". I have had fish many months ago bend. Seemed
To happen to swordtails or Molly's for me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Did you aquire the pearl damaged or did an injury/infection happen while you owned?
Sometimes It can be an age issue honestly IMO.
On the livebearers(swords and mollies) do you know the hardness of your water(gH/kH)?
The minerals that make up higher GH are part of the supplements(minerals) the livebearers need so in soft water it could become an issue over time, not right away.
Sorry about your pearl,one of my favorites I still struggle to breed.

I bought the pearl that way. Didn't realize it in the store and didn't see a reason to take it back.

No, I haven't tested the hardness of the water but I'll pick up a test this weekend. API really should include it in their test kit.

No, I haven't tested the hardness of the water but I'll pick up a test this weekend. API really should include it in their test kit.

NO they do NOT include the GH/KH test kit.
It/they are a separate test.
:popcorn:

One way for GH: soap solution after Boutron Boudet. And for KH methyl orange and 0.1 normal hydrochloric acid.

Back
Top Bottom