Changing Substrate... Good Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here. I'm coming back looking for some advice from knowledgeable sources. :)

Here's the deal... Growing up my father had always used gravel as a substrat regardless of what type of fish he kept. I know following his example when I have the benefit of the internet and other sources to research fish probably wasn't the brightest idea, but I did. I have a mix of black and white gravel which I really liked and the fish seem to be doing very well as well. The problem now is that the more I research fish the more I'm learning that a sand substrate would better suite my fish's needs. I've been thinking of switching to sand, but being a huge worry wart, I'm terrified of losing fish. My tank has been established for about 2 years now and I don't recall the last fish that I lost. The parameters are fine and within the normal ranges. The fish seem to be happy and healthy.

Here's the list of fish I currently own in a 75 gallon tank: (2) Pearl Gouramis, (2) Gold Gouramis, (1) Opaline Gourami, (9) Tiger Barbs, (2) Ropefish, (4) Dojo Loaches, (4) Yo Yo Loaches, and (1) Sailfin Pleco (my prized fish). The reason I'm thinking of switching is because my bottom dwellers prefer sand substrates so they can bury themselves. The Dojo's still bury themselves in the gravel, but I've yet to see the YoYos or the Ropes do this.

Like I said above, they all seem very happy and healthy. They all get along very well so I don't believe the gravel is causing any distress. I think they would be even happier though with a sand substrate. What do you think? Should I give it a go?

I have no idea if the sand substrate would be any better for them, but I see no problem with changing it out if you want. Just keep an eye on your parameters afterwards just in case the aquarium goes through a mini cycle and be prepared to do water changes if necessary. More than likely you won't have any problems though.

you can always change the substrate in sections, alot easier to do that going from gravel to sand.

when I did my change from gravel to sand, I simple poured half the sand over the gravel, and started sifting out the gravel over time, eventually it was almsot all sand and barely any gravel, since hte gravel and sand where both black, the few places there is gravel in the tank actually looks pretty cool imho.

Your bottom feeders do prefer sand over gravel. I would do it in half sections two weeks apart to be safe. If you want inexpensive sand, use pool filter sand. It is coarse enough to not float around during water changes and looks completely natural.

Thanks everyone. My main goal in this would be to provide a better environment for my fish, mainly the bottom dwellers who would prefer the sand to gravel. I also want to minimize the stress on the fish as I really don't want to lose any of them.

Would adding sand be harmful to them in anyway? Like if it clouded up the water or something? I wouldn't be able to turn the filter on right away if it's clouded up because it could damage the filter right? Sounds like this would become quite the ordeal!

I just did some surfing online and found this... Torpedo Beach Sand - 50 lb. | Buffered Substrate | Gravel & Substrate | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com Would this sand be ok to use? I saw a black sand I really liked, but it says it would raise the Ph which I don't want to do. My Ph is already pretty high so I don't want to bump it up anymore.

for black sand, use either tahitian black moon sand, or the 3M stuff. both work, the tahitian stuff is metallic though, so if it gets into your filter, it is a PITA to fix it, and it makes the filter pumps REALLY REALLY loud, I have a 400gph emporer sitting to the side cause of this problem.

To keep it from clouding up, rinse the sand really well before use. riinsing a 20 lb bag, I ussually only lose up to a lb of sand, so the loss from rinsign isnt that bad, and it is sand that you owuld lose later on anywayts.

Thanks, I'm currently running a Rena XP3 on this tank. I've had this filter on the tank since it was set up and I haven't had any major issues with it so far. I definitely don't want to mess with a good thing by changing to sand!

Back
Top Bottom