Changing Substrate in tank - How? New Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys, here is where I'm at.

I have a 12 gallon Eclipse tank, about 3 weeks old, that has finished the original cycle and currently has 2 guppies living in it.

I currently have cheap aquarium gravel in there that I want to change to the Eco-Complete stuff. (Which I bought this morning).

So, my plan is to remove about 50% of the water, remove the old gravel, and put the Eco-Complete stuff in. Then fill the tank back up with new water.

I'll still be using the same filter and Bio-Wheel, and the Eco-Complete stuff claims it has live bacteria in it already.

I will probably have to shut the filter off for at least a few hours after I put the new gravel in until the stuff in the water settles.

So, my question is this...will I need to cycle again? Any tips or changes you would make to my plan?

Thanks,
David

If you can, put the water in a bucket and keep it. From what I understand, you want to move as much of the established stuff back into the tank. I posted a very similiar question and was told if the tank is established you should be okay...
Being that your tank is a bit smaller than mine, I'd check the perims daily for the first week or so to make sure you aren't in a mini-cycle. Considering your smaller bioload, you'll probably be ok.
I just bought some eco-complete last night and hope to have some serious plants...lol.
GOOD LUCK to you.

I would recommend NOT doing this for another couple of weeks. Give the bacteria time to coat all surfaces (glass/decorations/etc). Right now you probably have a good bit of the total bacteria on your substrate. A little more time would ensure that a good coating is over everything.

I'd also recommend taking the fish out during the removal (you didn't mention if you were doing this). I'd put them in a clean bucket with tank water, a heater (if you have a separate one, or else cover it with blankets), and if your filter is not part of the tank (I'm pretty sure Eclipse setups are all 1 piece at the top right?) put that in too.

Then I'd drain all the water and scoop out the gravel. Put the Eco-complete in dry and put a plate (clean with no detergents on it) at the bottom and pour very slowly new dechlor'd water on the plate. This should help keep the dust down. The water will still seriously cloud, but the plate will help keep it down.

Then I would fill up, do a 50% PWC or so and add back in new water. I'd probably do that a couple times to get the dust out of the water and then add the fish back in (once you match the temp!). The filter if not hooked up should get a glass or two of tank water poured on it every 20-30minutes, but this whole thing shouldn't take more than an hour tops. Then add the fish back in.

I agree with 7E and would wait for a few weeks. Honestly, I'd wait at least a month before doing the transition. Don't worry about saving the water. Water doesn't hold beneficial bacteria like filters do so you don't need it.

Fishyfanatic said:
I agree with 7E and would wait for a few weeks. Honestly, I'd wait at least a month before doing the transition. Don't worry about saving the water. Water doesn't hold beneficial bacteria like filters do so you don't need it.

The only reason I might hold the water in this particular case is because of the {EDIT}, I'm now confusing the different threads....thought you have a fragile species {EDIT}

One other tool that would really help in the transition is to rent/borrow a diatom filter. These things are incredible at finely filtering the water in virtually minutes. It would save a lot of hassle with PWC's and/or letting the dust settle. I've heard of several LFS' that rent them out for a couple hours, or if you have a friend that can lend one to you. I would recommend if borrowing one that unless its a friends tank that is in pristine condition to first sterilize it with say a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and then rinse well with water. You don't want to risk bringing in a disease from another tank.

Back
Top Bottom