Changing substrate to get reqdy for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noghri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am headed into the world of plants, I ordered some Eco complete to replace my cheap gravel substrate and expect it to arrive the day after Christmas. I won't be planting right away, because I am waiting for a replacement set of legs for a use T5 fixture I bought.

Should I wait to change the substrate until I am ready to plant, or go ahead and do it when it arrives? What changes to my aquarium should I watch for? I am hoping to avoid a mini cycle, but I am expecting it anyway.

Also does anyone have advice in what a good procedure would be for making the change? It's a standard 55 gal aquarium.

I would start cleaning the eco complete the night before and let it soak and settle overnight in a bucket- It is a messy process, I would use pvc pipe to lay down the substrate with the tank about half filled. Your tank will be a bit cloudy and red clay colored but that should clear up relatively quickly given the adequate filtration and maintenance (changing your substrate will effect your tanks beneficial bacteria and may cause a mini cycle, sorry).

Hi,

Oh my goodness your alias made me happy!!
You can switch them before you have plants.
You can also bag gravel with nylon stockings as the bag. Then let those sit in the tank so the beneficial bacteria on the gravel is still in your tank while the new substrate builds some.

In my opinion, the best way to change this is to use a big Rubbermaid tub to hold all your water stock etc while you dump the gravel.

:)

Don't clean the Eco-Complete!!! It's meant to be used as is with the water it's shipped in. If you get your other substrate out and clean the tank you get very little cloudiness with Eco and if you do it goes away quickly.

Back
Top Bottom