Changing Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
When I started my tank in November, I knew nothing about planted aquariums. The LFS sold me black gravel (I picked it because it looked good) and said it would be fine for plants. Truth be told, it does seem to be ok, but I just don't like the look of it -- doesn't look as natural as I think sand would. Would like to change to a finer grain, sandy substrate. I have seen some black sand substrates out there, I think one of them is made by ADA.

1. Does it matter/will my plants do better in a sandy substrate? It certainly seems like planting in a sand substrate would be easier... especially for the fine roots of my rotala and moneywort.

2. What effect will changing the substrate have on my tank (being that everything seems to be going well at this point)?

3. How would I go about changing the substrate?

4. I would like to make the bottom more "3D". How can I get the substrate built up so that it slopes and curves, without just having it flatten back out?

Thanks all!

Well I changed the gravel in my aquarium. To a finer gravel/substrate. I took my fish put them in two gallon buckets emptied the water and took the gravel out with a net. Rinsed the new gravel and put it in a pillowcase to carry it to the aquarium. I then put it in. Put water back in and put the fish in. Now I am not sure this was the best way to do it but it worked and no fish died. I now hear that there is another small cycle that goes on after doing this. How small I dont know I would think it would be rather hefty of a cycle IDK. My aquarium inhabitants were not harmed.
As far as slopes go... Here are some ideas #1 Just add higher sand in some spots and smooth out with your hand. Now I know that you are worried about them moving but I dont think the hills will move that much. #2 Take slate(flat pieces) and build slopes #3 Find a material that is aquarium safe and build upon that. Like pieces from an outdoor pond cut to your aquarium. Hopefully you get more thoughts on this Im trying to help......

i did my tank not long ago and changed 1/3 at a time every week for 3 weeks big job but can be done. When i was done i looked at my tank and thought what the heck was i thinking of i ruined it.I didnt even want to turn lights on and look at it lol.One month later i look at it and WOWWWWW.Im Happy Again.

I changed my substrate in my 55 gallon all at once. I left the fish I had in but removed the plants. Scooped out all the old, rinsed the new really well. Then added it to the tank. Now I checked my water every day and needed to do about a thirty percent water change about every three days for a couple of weeks. It slowly got better and I had to do less and less water changes. I also went to feeding only every other day to cut down on the waste issue. I went from a large gravel to a medium sand. I really like it and all my plants are doing great. It has been a year now and about once a month I have to thin out the plant material and take it to my LFS for a store credit.

Petsmart has a "caribSea Aquarium Sand" that sells for $25 (the black stuff is currently on sale for $23... if you can call that a sale). The stuff looks really nice, but the problem I've run into is the stuff is so fine that plants don't hold in it as well as when I tried play sand (however, the play sand has appeared to cause a huge diatom explosion).

1. Does it matter/will my plants do better in a sandy substrate? It certainly seems like planting in a sand substrate would be easier... especially for the fine roots of my rotala and moneywort.

for me small gravel seems to be easier then sand. with sand things get knocked out easier too.

2. What effect will changing the substrate have on my tank (being that everything seems to be going well at this point)?

could go though a mini cycle

3. How would I go about changing the substrate?
when i did mine i just took everything out put the new stuff in all in one day.

4. I would like to make the bottom more "3D". How can I get the substrate built up so that it slopes and curves, without just having it flatten back out?

for me it stays unless your getting in and out of it often.

I have seen some black sand substrates out there, I think one of them is made by ADA.
ada is pricey and does need to be cycled. there stuff like turface thats a lot cheaper or eco complete or fluorite

Back
Top Bottom