Changing substrate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I'm getting peeved with my white sand substrate not providing adequate support, nutrients and best conditions for my stem plants and am wanting to modify/change it out.

I love eco-complete and would like to stick that in but it costs a bomb here in the UK and i'd need at least 7 bags, costing about £175 ($350).

Would it be ok to mix it with the white sand and do about 4 bags?

Will this look rubbish?

Should I just place it on top of the sand and let it mix over time?

Any tips on the transfer?

Thanks,

John

Shopping Cart? :)

I'm happy to get the eco complete (and really will probably end up spending the cash) but my main query is really what would happen to it if i mixed, and what it would look like.

Yes, that is the stuff I meant to show. For some reason it shows up for me when I click on my link even after deleting my browsing history and emptying the shopping cart...weird.

If you want an honest opinion I don't think it would look all that good with Eco complete mixed with a lighter sand. The only way I MAY like it is if it were layered....not all mixed together. Why not buy a 25lb bag or two of regular black aquarium substrate and mix it with the Eco complete?

I just imagined what white sand and Eco would look like and agree that it may not look at all pleasing. Mixing with regular gravel would look better. I would suggest a 75 Eco/25 reg mix.

Ah well.

I've been chucking money at this tank in every form so far so I guess its time to lob some more at it.

Back
Top Bottom