Charcoal and clear tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should I remove the charcoal from my hob filter cartridges? Do I add more floss? My home tank is still not crystal clear. I've removed both of them and rinsed the filters over the past few weeks (not at the same time). I have white gravel in this tank and I'm wondering if that could be the culprit. I really wish I hadn't done that.

Cycled and well established help alot
Fine filter floss maybe.
Do you have any livestock stirring the substrate?

Yeah, parameters are fantastic. 0 amm, 0 trite, 10-20 trate (I can't tell the difference in color between those two). My tank looks very clear today and I didn't do anything. The original charcoal that came with the filter is still in it, several months later. I'm thinking I should remove it. Do I have to add fresh charcoal to keep a clear tank?

IMO remove the charcoal because it removes a lot from the water column. Add polyfil instead, it works just as well without removing anything from the water

Charcoal and Clear Tanks

Hello Rey...

Carbon will keep tank odors down and I use a small pad in my filters, but as a water filter, it's importance is minimal. Simple, weekly water changes of 50 percent do more for your aquarium by removing many more toxic substances then any amount of carbon can.

Large and frequent water changes will also improve water clarity. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be. Give it a try.

B

Back
Top Bottom