Chasing eachother to death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can fish chase each other to death? I have two male swordtails that, for a few weeks now, have been chasing each other endlessly. All water parameters are good (0, 0, .10) with weekly pwc. My tank is a 72 gallon with 10 various platy, 4 cory, and a snowball pleco.

Today I find the one that did most of the chasing hiding in a plant with some ragged fins and the one being chased now the aggressor also with ragged fins. Do you think they had a king of the tank battle? They have plenty of room, hiding places, and females (7) to, um, chase. What's their deal?

Are they both male? Becasuse if a male is in with another male it is asking for trouble you could put 1 male to 2 females and the other fish will eat the fry.

I think I killed a male dwarf gourami once by putting him in a 55 with two other male gouramis. They weren't violently aggressive toward him like I have seen some angels be, but the two larger ones just would not give him any territory and were constantly chasing and pecking at him. I planned to move him to a 30 gallon by himself to give him some relief, but I woke up the next day to find him dead. I think the harassment killed him, and I felt terrible that I didn't move him immediately.

Male swordtails are territorial. It's best to keep one per tank. I really don't know how big of a tank you need to keep two males.

Back
Top Bottom