Cheap but effective plant substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i just bought a 55 gallon and I was wondering what is a cheap but effective substrate I can use? I don't want to dirt it either. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pool filter/play sand is going to be the cheapest substrate. It will accommodate plants as well as any other substrates given you provide the correct lighting, nutrients, and carbon for your chosen plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Look up Safe-T-Sorb. There's many threads on it regarding it in planted tanks. Also YouTube. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to work at a very inexpensive price.

Safe t sorb, high cec, cheap, looks good IMO.

I use it in my 75g

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Inexpensive Bottom Material

So i just bought a 55 gallon and I was wondering what is a cheap but effective substrate I can use? I don't want to dirt it either. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello big..

I keep several tanks about 50 to 60 gallons and use pea sized polished gravel. That's the best. It's inexpensive, no cleaning issues, plenty of space for good water circulation for plants, it can never develope voids that can cause water chemistry problems and no rough edges to injure foraging fish.

You can't beat it.

B

I'm talking like a type if flourite or a substrate made for planted tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Certainly... eco complete is great, floramax, and then flourite (IMO, in this order of best to good in this category). These substrates are a step up from safe-t-sorb, and gravel or sand (which the latter two are inert = no nutrients). Not sure about flourite, but the EC and Floramax have a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which allows this substrate to get more fertile over time by absorbing nutrients and feeding it back to the plants. I recall reading somewhere that flourite is more dusty and causes a lot of cloudiness at first. If you have the budget, I'd recommend EC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom