Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have ordered some more floodlights to put in my diy canopy (see earlier posts).

I have decided to go with two 20w and one 10w 12000k, and two 10w blues. It will be a few weeks before they arrive but I will post pics and results when I get them running.

I'm expecting the two red 10w flood lights to arrive any day now, they will be going on my ATS (see my 55 build thread for info on ATS). Once it's running I'll post results of these also.

The red 10w have arrived and I have installed them into my ATS which I hope to start running in a week or so, here are some pics...

Attachments

• image-1447312499.jpg
    image-1447312499.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 169
  • image-2147108788.jpg
    image-2147108788.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3899428083.jpg
    image-3899428083.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 165
  • image-1811292476.jpg
    image-1811292476.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3139397068.jpg
    image-3139397068.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 161
I will be very interested to see how these grow the screen for you,,please keep us updated(y)

FTMMWS said:
I will be very interested to see how these grow the screen for you,,please keep us updated(y)

Yea me too, it's going to be a bit of trial and error, hopefully they work! I'll post weekly updates on the growth once the tanks running.

Oh my gosh what a great thread! I can hardly wait to see what the outcome is!!! The suspense is going to drive me nuts :blink: LOL! It's looking awesome so far and you have inspired me to build a canaopy for my 75 gallon Freshwater Planted tank and go LED. I have been trying to decide what light to use for my 30 gallon and maybe I will give it a test run with a couple LED's in the meantime. (75 Gallon is still in the process of being set up.)

I read someone else is thinking of setting the lights on top of the glass canaopy...what do you think about that? That would be my only option with my 30 gallon right now. I am needing new lights now (well last week actually)

Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Lovin Fish said:
Oh my gosh what a great thread! I can hardly wait to see what the outcome is!!! The suspense is going to drive me nuts :blink: LOL! It's looking awesome so far and you have inspired me to build a canaopy for my 75 gallon Freshwater Planted tank and go LED. I have been trying to decide what light to use for my 30 gallon and maybe I will give it a test run with a couple LED's in the meantime. (75 Gallon is still in the process of being set up.)

I read someone else is thinking of setting the lights on top of the glass canaopy...what do you think about that? That would be my only option with my 30 gallon right now. I am needing new lights now (well last week actually)

Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Glad you found this useful, I'm thinking I should be getting paid by this LED company for advertising for them!

Before sitting the lights on eggcrate as I currently have I had them on a glass top, it's fine, just need to keep the glass clean to ensure your getting consistent lighting. The biggest advantage of having a canopy is that it allows you to raise the lights so that you get the desired spread.

Glad you found this useful, I'm thinking I should be getting paid by this LED company for advertising for them!

Before sitting the lights on eggcrate as I currently have I had them on a glass top, it's fine, just need to keep the glass clean to ensure your getting consistent lighting. The biggest advantage of having a canopy is that it allows you to raise the lights so that you get the desired spread.

Excellent! Thanks a ton! Will be getting 2 LED Floodlights from costco tomorrow (if theirs is water proof). My fish and plants will be happy to have both sides of their tank lit again :) I couldn't find a replacement bulb anywhere in town :facepalm:

Last edited:
Lovin Fish said:
Excellent! Thanks a ton! Will be getting 2 LED Floodlights from costco tomorrow (if theirs is water proof). My fish and plants will be happy to have both sides of their tank lit again :) I couldn't find a replacement bulb anywhere in town :facepalm:

No prob, what LED floodlights do they have at Costco? Could you post a pic of them and let us know how they are when you get them?

No prob, what LED floodlights do they have at Costco? Could you post a pic of them and let us know how they are when you get them?
Most definetely I will! Didn't make it out there tonight. I'll let you know when I get back tomorrow ;)

Oops my bad :rolleyes: I checked the lights at Costco and I was mistaken. Awhile back I had seen large LED lights as I was browsing Costco isles and thought they looked like the ones you have; I was wrong! I never picked them up to actually look at them :oops: These are what Costco has. Probably wouldn't work. They are called Feit LED Light Bulbs...not floodlights. Unfortunate. Would've been awesome to just pick em up from Costco!
11753620.jpg

Lovin Fish said:
Oops my bad :rolleyes: I checked the lights at Costco and I was mistaken. Awhile back I had seen large LED lights as I was browsing Costco isles and thought they looked like the ones you have; I was wrong! I never picked them up to actually look at them :oops: These are what Costco has. Probably wouldn't work. They are called Feit LED Light Bulbs...not floodlights. Unfortunate. Would've been awesome to just pick em up from Costco!

I'm sure they could work depending on the color and wattage. I've seen some similar at home depot but the prices are more expensive than the floodlights.

K, well looks like the flood lights are down to $70ish now. Cheaper than the LED board I posted but you get the blues in there so I figured it's worth it. However, it's good to have options and the ones I posted are still WAY cheaper than others.

ClamSnorkler said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Tank-black-Blue-LED-Grow-Light-120W-/150726029374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2317f8b03e#ht_6914wt_984

Hope i added the link right, lots of people on this site are using these LED boards for their corals (some even having good success with sps.) There about same price as the flood but come w/ exhaust fans & separate power supply for the blues & whites. Just thought I'd get the word out. I have a few on order myself.

Thanks for sharing, I've seen a few threads on these LEDs (believe you had posted on one), they look awesome, but they are a little more expensive, i like the fact they come with both white and blue, I may try one out in the future.

Hello. I'm new to this forum..
I was searching for a inexpensive led setup for a 36 gal bow front corner tank so I can use it for a FRAG tank. I noticed that someone else here was looking into lighting the 36 gal tank with LED's as well. I really think u have something here. These LED FLOOD Lights are awesome!! Color spectrum fits the application for growing various corals and everything. And Yes, they should pay you for advertising!!! LOL. Just wish that the lights were available locally.
I will definitely keep my eye on this to see how your tank does. Please keep posting pictures.

Question: I am looking to do a small 10 gallon reef for my office. Do you think one 25w 12K would be enough. I don't plan to have a canopy, just an open top. Looking for some feedback. Those lights are great and a cheap option.

Mr. Green said:
Question: I am looking to do a small 10 gallon reef for my office. Do you think one 25w 12K would be enough. I don't plan to have a canopy, just an open top. Looking for some feedback. Those lights are great and a cheap option.

Personally I think you could get by with one 10w 12000k, it's about half the price too. A 25w would need to be raised, and is probably overkill.

Personally I think you could get by with one 10w 12000k, it's about half the price too. A 25w would need to be raised, and is probably overkill.

Thanks Tom, I may bump it up, no bigger than a 20 for my home office. Would you suggest the 25w then or stay with the 10w 12K?

Back
Top Bottom