Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
audifusion said:
I'm looking into 100w cree's. it's basically 20 of the 5w cree xpg mounted on a little chip.

It pumps out 13000 lumens,

Do you guys think that would be too bright?

It's too much in one spot. I think 10w Crees spread out are better. Your tank is 4ft deep right?

they are super bright.

13000 lumens to be exact.

going to do the wiring on the rest tomorrow and
install them over the tank.

The colour temp is perfect too

Attachments

• image-1910321457.jpg
    image-1910321457.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-930642264.jpg
    image-930642264.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 106
Those who used these lights, what configuration of led floodlights can you recommend for a 140 Gal freshwater planted tank? I am looking for medium light, dimensions are 5 feet length by 18 inches width and 22 inches height. There's a bar in the middle so it'll make more sense to work with an even number of fixtures. 2x50W? 4x30W? 4x20W? 2x30 and 2x20?

Please advise!
Thanks,
Kat.

thecatisontheloose said:
Those who used these lights, what configuration of led floodlights can you recommend for a 140 Gal freshwater planted tank? I am looking for medium light, dimensions are 5 feet length by 18 inches width and 22 inches height. There's a bar in the middle so it'll make more sense to work with an even number of fixtures. 2x50W? 4x30W? 4x20W? 2x30 and 2x20?

Please advise!
Thanks,
Kat.

I use them and for medium light I would get 4x20W 6000-6500K daylights. One 20W daylight over my 20H is enough to get great growth from my HC which is a very high light plant. Anything more than the 20W may give you big algae issues without high CO2 and careful control of the water parameters. You may want to try 2x20s and see the spread but because of the fact that a single point light source can struggle with casting more shade, I think 4 would be needed. I had to add a 10W to my setup because the large driftwood blocked the light on the left.

Please let us know what you decide. I have no problems growing anything with these lights. The HC is VERY compact and low growing and spread fast even before I augmented it with the 10w.

My tank is 4 ft. I have 3 20's and 2 30's I also have a bar in the middle but you can figure it out so that it is very close to the center because the led chip is in the center of the fixture so you can slide it further over.

tonedogz said:
My tank is 4 ft. I have 3 20's and 2 30's I also have a bar in the middle but you can figure it out so that it is very close to the center because the led chip is in the center of the fixture so you can slide it further over.

Are you running CO2 in this tank? Your lighting seems a little more high light than this guy may be gunning for.

Thank you for the advice. I was considering going for 2x50 and 2x10 watt ones, and setting it up so that i have high light in the middle with darker edges. Now you have me reconsidering to going for maybe 2x30W and 2X10w to achieve this effect. Aesthetically, I prefer light that creates contrast between lit and shaded areas, rather than uniform lighting. I certainly don't want algae problems either. I won't be using CO2. I am looking to grow moss and ferns and other plants that don't need to be in the ground. I would like these plants to spread densely over the rocks and driftwood. I intend to leave the ground clean, just with white sand, but might reconsider this later.

Did anyone ever get any PAR readings from these large LED spot lights? How about before and after coral growth shots?

tonedogz said:

Wait, isn't your tank saltwater? TheCat just wants low light plants for his freshwater tank.

thecatisontheloose said:
Thank you for the advice. I was considering going for 2x50 and 2x10 watt ones, and setting it up so that i have high light in the middle with darker edges. Now you have me reconsidering to going for maybe 2x30W and 2X10w to achieve this effect. Aesthetically, I prefer light that creates contrast between lit and shaded areas, rather than uniform lighting. I certainly don't want algae problems either. I won't be using CO2. I am looking to grow moss and ferns and other plants that don't need to be in the ground. I would like these plants to spread densely over the rocks and driftwood. I intend to leave the ground clean, just with white sand, but might reconsider this later.

You can definitely go that rout. I also love that kind of look. The 30w fixtures will probably be much closer to high light levels than low light but I've never tried them. I can only say that in my 20H using a 20w light, my very high light ground cover plants grow low and compact and it takes controlled co2 and Excell to keep it free from algae. These lights penetrate very well and even the 20w blows away my old 2 light T5s. Your tank is far larger, though.

Where have all of you been ordering these lights? I have seen mixed reviews from amazon.com the lights seem to be a little hit and miss as far as the brand/type go. I am looking for some 20-30 watt 6500 ish Kelvin. If anyone could give me a lead that would be great! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom