cheapest high intensity lights for 29 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im interested in growing carpet plants i know they need a lot of light. I just want to have a heavily planted tank.

Are you planning on using CO2 or no? I think that will make a difference on just how much light you will want so you don't grow algae too.

That light you posted will def. not be enough. On my 29 gallon i run a planted plus and a coralife dual t5 no and get on the lower end of medium light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Puckhog, why do you have coralife bulb is 10000k useful?
And why is your tank only "medium light". Is it because of your plants?they require a lot? It looks like i have a lot to learn any books or websites good to learn about plant lighting?

Are these good? SHO-65W-D - 65 watt, 120 volt, High Output CFL, 6400K Daylight

sho bulbs?

The coralife doesnt mean anything. All t5 nos and hos are the same thing some people just say coralife bulbs last longer. I have one bulb 10000k and one 6700.

I thought 6500k was the best for plants, why 10000?

Anything between 6000k and 10000k willgrow plants fine. I already had the 10000k and liked the whiter light it put out. The planted plus led fixture has 7000k white leds with blue and reds mixed in. I originally had the same problem as you. I wanted to plant my 29 but didnt want to spend 150 bucks on lighting. I started out with just the dual t5 no and it could hardly grow anubias. Once i added the planted plus i was finally getting enough par to grow medium light plants.

You could do the clamp on dome lights but would have to build a canopy. I would say 3 23 watt cfls. Would be sufficient and give you better light spread than 2 60 watt bulbs.

Oh ok. The thing is i have useless 12000k bulbs the guy at my fish store recommended. They were expensive! I dont think i can afford planted plus now. Ill see if these cf bulbs are ok.

are these bulbs: Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight Deluxe (6500K) T2 Twister CFL Light Bulb (4-Pack) (E*)-433557 at The Home Depot

compatible with these clamp lights?

HDX 75-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light-HD-200PDQ at The Home Depot

or these?
Mainstays Clip Task Lamp - Walmart.com

The second one (walmart) says 40 watt, the bulb is 23 watt but equivalent to 100 watts, it is fine?

And there are some diy glass aquarium lid tutorials online. The glass is less than 10 dollars. Is there anything else I need to set up these lights?

oh god, I am excited to death to get started!

The 100 watt bulbs will not work. Go with 2-3 23 watt bulbs. Also be aware that the heat may crack the glass lid. Also what plants are you planning to keep? This will help determine how many bulbs you will need. Also if the tank is in a bedroom or smaller space be aware the bulbs as well as the tank can make the room pretty cool. I have 2 tanks in my bedroom. A 4 gallon and a 29 gallon. Both tanks at one point had flourescent lighting. After switching over to led the temp in my room dropped 2 degrees

But they are not 100w they are 23 watts. They are equiv to 100w incandescents. Am not sure what plants im going to get exactley because someone is going to give me a bunch of plants , but I might want carpet plants. I know thse require a lot of light.

Here's a fixture you can do for cheap.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306848

I also have a 29g and dose ferts and co2. My DIY fixture has 4x23watts 6500k cfl, bought from Walmart. They do ok. You can get a good carpet with different kinds of plants with above lights....like dwarf sag, s.repens, and baby tears (HM) to name a few. If you want to do baby tears (HC) you will definitely need a more powerful light like BML since our tanks are so high. I consider my light-low medium.

Here's my tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410149971.342397.jpg

Back
Top Bottom