Cherry barb agression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sitting here watching my 29 gallon tank today I have seen a lot of agression from the male cherry barb. I added 4 new cherry barbs over a week ago. Before then there was no agression.

He is in the tank with
4 juvi bolovian rams
him and 5 other cherry barbs

He is harassing EVERYONE in the tank. It like he is trying to claim the whole tank for himself. I didn't see any aggression until I added the 4 new cherrys. It was just him and a female female.

Any ideas or suggestions? Little jerk :banghead:

They are just sorting out their pecking order. So to speak. You have a total of 6 correct? How many males?

2 males the large one and one tiny one and the 4 females. I planned on bumping the numbers up more. I bought a tank with just two in it. So I bought the 4 new ones as I know they like to be in groups.

Its like he has one central spot(the dragon bubbler that is not running) and he chases everyone away from it. Then he moves about the tank and chases everyone else. My poor rams are all hiding :(

They'll be ok.... lol Give them a couple of days to a week to settle in. :)

Thanks! It seems like he may have a female he is interested in. There is one female he keeps running the others away from. The only fish in the tank he keeps going to but not chasing off. Crazy boy :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom