Cherry Barb is a Bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvanWells

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, this is my first post in the forum. I have a 29G Freshwater Tank. It is a lot of fun, ive had it for almost 2 months. It has 5 plants in it and is almost always crystal clear, thanks to the advice i've read on this site. I just picked up 2 Blood Red Sword tail fish today. Which means my tank now has the following stock:

Plecostomus x 1
Golden Snail x 1
Mystery Snail x 1
Tiger Barb x 4
Cherry Barb x 1
Zebra Danio x 2
Blue Coral Dwarf gourami x 2
Blood Red Sword-tail x 2

My cherry barb wont stop nipping at one of te sword tails. I need that to stop or I will have to get rid of him. I aint got no time for a bully! lol Please help!

Cherry barbs like groups of 5+ as do danios, other barbs, tetras, etc...

Get him some friends or remove him.

Caleb

Cherry barbs like groups of 5+ as do danios, other barbs, tetras, etc...

Get him some friends or remove him.

Caleb

Okay thanks! I'll consider that. I had 4 Cherry barbs in there. But i failed with my heater, live and learn I guess. It hit 89 degrees and they all died. I was so dissapointed in myself.

Okay thanks! I'll consider that. I had 4 Cherry barbs in there. But i failed with my heater, live and learn I guess. It hit 89 degrees and they all died. I was so dissapointed in myself.

It happens sometimes. I had a heater failed and my tank hit 93 degrees. Luckily my fish liked the heat.

Caleb

The cherry barbs will cool down a lot with a group, I keep 8 at the moment. Another key step is to balance a minimum 2:1 female to male ratio.. 3:1 is better. So if you have two males I'd keep 4-6 females.

In proper groups they can be very calm, I have no issues with nipping or chasing.

I've also heard of keeping all males and no females with success but I've never tried it personally.

Back
Top Bottom