Cherry barb tank size question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why does liveaquaria.com say cherry barbs need a 30 gallon minimum? I bought some today for my fluval edge 6. All around adult size. They seem to fit comfortably and they don't seem to require as much swim room as tetras or other similar size fish. Also I have all males so fry isn't a worry. What gives?

Like most 2-3 inch schooling fish cherry barbs need a minimum number of 6 (preferably more) plus enough horizontal swimming space to suit their activity level. 24-30 inches is usually seen as the minimum length for a tank with cherry barbs. With only males in your current size tank you will likely see increased aggression amongst your barbs, plus at adult size 6 gallons could prove small capacity-wise too and you may need to do extra water changes to keep your parameters in check. Personally I would return them or move them to a larger tank.

As I said, their activity is nothing in comparison to tetras and several sites I've read have recognized this. I'll test my luck-not return them. I think sometimes stocking rules are a bit over exaggerated.

Well, considering you bought them today I'd say they're still dealing with the stress of being in a new environment and are not displaying their natural behavior. If you get the chance check out Youtube vids of them or any LFS that carries them and you'll see how active they can be and how much they appreciate more space than you currently offer them. They can survive fine in your current tank, yes, but if you're trying to recreate an environment where they'll thrive then that might be a different story. It could work though, even if it isn't necessarily ideal. Good luck!

If I ever see a lack of coloration, experience a sickness outbreak or see them acting lethargic, I will certainly rehome them. As for now though my parameters are good and believe it or not I'm way ahead of you- I watched many videos on them before purchasing and did extensive research. They seem to be acting normal, and they are very vibrant in color. They've come a long way since I brought them home. There were just conflicting opinions about this and I wanted to see what the deal was and hear opinions which you've provided and I appreciate that.

Yea im against the idea that a 6g is suitable but its your choice.

I like how you did all this research and still went against it!

Also how can you come to the conclusion they are less active than tetras when they havn't got the space to swim naturally?

When you compare them to your tetras, i automatically assume they are all in the same tank? Because pretty much all research will lead you to the thought train that 6g is unsuitable for these fish too

Having said all that. Its your choice so i might as well not bothered lol

Good luck though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 on the thoughts that you may have aggression issues with all males. Cherry barbs usually will not spawn by accident and require a little bit of conditioning, so if you're going to try to keep them in a 6g (which I agree is a bit small for their activity levels) then having a proper mix of males to females would give you the best chance. Cherry barbs can have some fun interactions between the males and females, so I think you're missing out on a lot by keeping them in tank that's too small with the wrong gender ratio for the males to set up proper territories and court the females.

Back
Top Bottom