Cherry Barbs Nipping - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just added a school of cherry barbs to my 29 gallon community and I've noticed at least one of them nipping the fins of my German blue ram. I would like to isolate the ram till his fins get better but I only have an empty uncycled 5 gallon available. Any ideas!

butterflyjenni said:
Just added a school of cherry barbs to my 29 gallon community and I've noticed at least one of them nipping the fins of my German blue ram. I would like to isolate the ram till his fins get better but I only have an empty uncycled 5 gallon available. Any ideas!

Use water from his current tank with gravel from his current tank?

What is the current filter system you are running on your 29gal tank? Transferring water and and gravel from the current tank will give you some minimal bacteria levels, but not likely to be sufficient. If you can transfer some filter media between filters that would help considerably.

For now the 5gal will work as a hospital QT tank. Do you have an airstone? If so use that along with some gravel or decor from your main tank. You'll have to do frequent PWC's

I currently have an aqeon filter. It only has one filter cartridge in it and that's it. it's a hang on back filter.

butterflyjenni said:
I currently have an aqeon filter. It only has one filter cartridge in it and that's it. it's a hang on back filter.

Ahh aquean. Did you buy it as a kit or just bought the filter for the tank

GhillieSniper115 said:
Ahh aquean. Did you buy it as a kit or just bought the filter for the tank

I bought it by itself. Why is it a bad filter?

Well my ram has sadly passed away :( I'm not sure if it was the nipping or the transferring him to an uncycled aquarium. Probably a little of both. Either way I'm sad.

I'm not sure why you transferred him. Would you have then transferred him back? See why I'm confused?

My cherries were always really nippy, but only amongst themselves.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I moved him to quarantine him until I could find a new home for the cherry barbs and give him medicine to repair his fins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom