Cherry Shrimp Bucket??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am wanting to start with cherry shrimp as a new edition to my community tank and I've heard once you have old enough ones they will out breed the fish that prey on them.. anyways I made the mistake of buying 6 and putting them in my community tank and watched them become snacks I believe it was because they were so young still (half and inch) anyways I have a decent sized bucket and a hang on filter that I can put a sponge on to stop shrimp from getting sucked up and I was wonder if this would work to keep them just the filter bucket some gravel a few plants and a couple guppies to help the shrimp feed I don't have an extra heater.... The temp in my house is usually around 21 C! So would my low tech bucket work or would it fail miserably, Thank you

P.S. I would use water and a few plants from my 90 gal to fill the bucket

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrimp WILL be eaten by anything that can get them in their mouths. Unless your tank is HEAVILY planted they will just be an expensive fish treat.

Ii

Yeah I don't have that aggressive fish in there I just have a kribensis which decided to snack I have noticed aeast 4 are still alive.... Anyways would making a bucket with substrate and plants from my community tank and putting it in a bucket work as a breeder before I have a decent amount I don't have a heater to heat the tank though
Thanks

P.S. I attached a picture of what I quickly set up to get input if it would work (shows bucket and ect) If this is a good set up I'll add substrates, rocks and plant

Attachments

• 15463724482529155785195824414549.jpg
    15463724482529155785195824414549.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 77
My kribs will eat anything they can catch - the platy(dither fish) fry are their favorite snack
Why are you putting guppies in?

I would skip the guppies. They would probably leave the adult shrimp along, however, any shrimp fry is fair game.
Not sure where you are located but some of the big box stores are having their dollar per gallon sale. You could swap out the tub with a 10g, space permitting.

I would skip the guppies. They would probably leave the adult shrimp along, however, any shrimp fry is fair game.
Not sure where you are located but some of the big box stores are having their dollar per gallon sale. You could swap out the tub with a 10g, space permitting.
Yeah, I was thinking guppies just for the waste to keep the shrimp with a bit of poop to feed on I heard it's always beneficial for the shrimp also not too worried about a few babies being eaten because I'm planning on having a bunch of live plants and a few small prices of drift wood. No Big Box stores around me I'm in Canada ��

My kribs will eat anything they can catch - the platy(dither fish) fry are their favorite snack
Why are you putting guppies in?
I was planning to put guppies in to help promote bacteria growth and also to help feed the shrimp slightly because I have read it is beneficial to let them have at it with some fish poo (it has a few nutrients the shrimp need)

Well that's a new one for me as most of the shrimp breeders keep shrimp only tanks so no fish poo. I'm in Ontario and find the best tank deals to be on Kijiji. I get foods from one of the girls I found on a shrimp group - Spirulina, Bee Pollen, Snow Flake and Super Mix. Also Bio Max which I picked up at an aquatic store when picking up shrimp one time

Well that's a new one for me as most of the shrimp breeders keep shrimp only tanks so no fish poo. I'm in Ontario and find the best tank deals to be on Kijiji. I get foods from one of the girls I found on a shrimp group - Spirulina, Bee Pollen, Snow Flake and Super Mix. Also Bio Max which I picked up at an aquatic store when picking up shrimp one time
Alright that good to know! I am trying to be conservative with all the supplies I use.. Do the shrimp need all the high quality foods because I also read that you can feed them some fish flakes/pellets and occasionally zucchini and carrots because they like too feed off of micro organisms and algea is this not true? Do I need to get the higher grade foods for them to remain happy/healthy?

Thanks

You can feed your shrimp algae wafers/pellets. Occasional treat with sliced, blanched veggies such as zucchini. From time to time I add a dried mulberry leaf (takes a few days for them to graze and strip clean). Indian almond leaves are popular additions to shrimp tanks. They breakdown slowly and release tannins. Shrimp do not eat them directly; they graze on the biofilm that develops on the leaf’s surface.
Occasionally I will take a toothbrush and run it along the lip of the HOB filters; typically algae will grow there since it is close to the lights. I plop the harvested algae into the shrimp tank and they pounce on it.
I have purchased sample packs from shrimp sellers. This is a great way to try out small portions of different foods.
Above all, don’t over feed them. Regular (10-20% weekly) water changes.

Alright and for substrates I just bought some fluorite dark supposadlly good for plants! How long do you I should cycle to be sure the shrimp won't die?? I would be using an established aquariums water and I have some bio media sitting in the same tank
Thanks for all the help by the way

I've always understood that *fish* food was a no-no due to the protein content, unless you're talking about algae wafers/pellets. As for high grade shrimp foods, with the tiny amount shrimp eat a bag of food lasts significantly longer than *fish* food does & I figure they like a little variety in their diet as much as I do
Also bee pollen is said to be great to promote breeding and baby health so I'm giving it a try.

Established Bio media is what you need for BB. Aquarium water does nothing for BB.

I've always understood that *fish* food was a no-no due to the protein content, unless you're talking about algae wafers/pellets. As for high grade shrimp foods, with the tiny amount shrimp eat a bag of food lasts significantly longer than *fish* food does & I figure they like a little variety in their diet as much as I do
Also bee pollen is said to be great to promote breeding and baby health so I'm giving it a try.
Really?? I didn't know that! That is good to know because I have algea wafers but I was also planning on occasionally using flakes. So if it is a no no I'll avoid it thanks

Thanks to everyone who helped I just set up my tank and bought 15 shrimp (some already bearing :)) This was the final product (I swear there are shrimp somewhere lol)

Attachments

• 15470052892613530739731361713156.jpg
    15470052892613530739731361713156.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 15470052997257812782461301706668.jpg
    15470052997257812782461301706668.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 15470053140491903281281071906971.jpg
    15470053140491903281281071906971.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 15470053610147699165741328687199.jpg
    15470053610147699165741328687199.jpg