Chiclid die off. Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh825

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Cichlid die off. Help!!!

I have a 50 gallon tank with a api canister filter which filters out about 55 gallons an hour. My water test cam out at Ph is at 8-8.1, nitrate 0, ammonia 0. Everything came out perfect. I put in 3 african chiclids yesterday. 2 have already died I don't understand the water temperature is 78.3. I have 4 live plants. 2 pieces of natural driftwood and one artificial to provide cover for the fish. The last fish seems to be doing fine. I don't now what's going on. Someone help

Yeah, it sounds like you are underfiltered. And did you cycle the tank? If so, I would expect to see some nitrates.

And what type of African cichlids? Since many African cichlids are territorial, they can kill each other off if there are not enough to spread out the aggression.

Also, African cichlids generally need a higher ph, but the driftwood will lower it. They are also likely to destroy your plants.

I'll check of the water the filter gph is. I did cycle the tank before I put the fish in. I do have a aquaclear 50 sitting around do you think that is needed?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom