Child proofing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok- so this is a little weird. Borderline off topic.

So for you parents out there what have you done to child proof large aquariums? Our son is a year old and is in the climbing stages. He now climbs ON our coffee table and stands on it reaching to touch the fish tank. Other than moving the coffee table away/getting it away from the tank any ideas?

And also what's the chance he could really knock it over? 55gal on a stand meant for it so it is pretty sturdy. Any ways you would think to reinforce it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Child proof fence and RCD or GFCI circuit breaker at the wall socket. Some thoughts anyways on tank collapsing, mixing electricity / water and getting into the tank (drowning).

Good ideas :)

I know it is probably is over-worrying but today I went to go grab his sippy cup and he was standing tapping the tank. (He was being gentle which is good but still an OMG moment). At least we know he likes the fish!

we moved our tank into a room that could be locked. There are so many dangers with a large aquarium and kids are just naturally curious.

I just seen in the news a dresser fell on 2 little girls and neither child survived.

I am extra cautious because I feel if it can happen it will.

I am thinking I might try the gate route for now. If he messes around with it a lot we might consider moving it. I just don't want to if I don't have to because I love it and like having it right in the living room :(

Can you post pics of your set up as it is? That way we could brainstorm some specific ideas...
My friends father bolted a stand to the wall once. Then the child would have to actually pull on the top of the tank.
Edit: I say bolted, maybe secured to the wall is more accurate. I am unsure of the actual fastener used

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406857714.283871.jpg

Before he was climbing we had used that table to block him from getting to the stand and in between the couch and the tank.

I think we could probably get one of those play yard/fence things around it

Hahaha please ignore the mess all around the table! He found a huge bag of goldfish and was throwing them all around

That's a good idea - the bolting/whatever you want to call it. We did that with a couple bookcases so I am sure my husband could do that with the stand fairly easily too

Hard to see- black table against the black stand

Either put a fastener though the tank studs into the wall studs or maybe make an extra band or frame that wraps around the tank and connects into the studs.

Definitely anchor the stand to the wall, at the studs. Find "furniture straps" at the hardware store, or IKEA.

GFCI outlet adapter is critical. I found one nicely priced on Amazon.

At that age it's probably good it's high up. But wow do they suddenly surprise by throwing hard things inside.

With my kid I've always tried to find a way he can do what he's trying to do, in a defined and safe way. For instance ... You want to get high up to see the fish tank? Ok you can ... sit in your high chair and look at it and touch the glass if you don't tap and don't throw anything. You want to touch it? OK let's sit and look at it closely together, and we're going to be very quiet.

With my son it's been important to not have him compete for attention with the tank. When I want to sit and watch the tank, I ask him to come sit with me and we talk about the fishes and he helps me feed them until he loses interest and wants to do his thing while I stay for a few minutes. I also have to find lots of things he can do to help. That's been the case since I started having fish when he was 3.

But you'll be surprised how much they can help with ... at 4 he can use a pipette to fill a test tube straight to the line, no more no less. I ask him to help me see if all the fish are OK each day too, and if he washes his hands I'll let him hold the malaysian trumpet snails for a minute.

Also by 4 it was safer for me to put the tank down really low, so he can open the lid without help. He's old enough I trust him to not try to get in, or put anything in the water. The most dangerous issue is he so wants to help, it's best he can turn the lights on and off and stuff like that on his own. I have it on a big coffee table and we have our rules about what happens nearby.

Hahahaha yeah! My husband and I have laughed about it a few times. There have been a few "Feed him fish" moments where we told the other meaning give Reilly his goldfish and then we see the other person feeding the fish in the tanks. Oops

Angela I have a few ideas and suggestions. First he's at a great age to start learning the word "no", maybe try saying no and follow with the person who suggested putting the baby in high hair to see. Soon he will let you know he wants to see the fish by his communication. Maybe ex. Standing by his high chair and pointing at fish possibly acting frustrated. I would add no in there for teaching safety. Also it looks like you have a couch and chair pretty close. I'd move those. My experience kids especially boys are fantastic climbers. I'm an over protective mom so I also would add a very good lid like was suggested. Safety reasons. Again a mother said she feels if it can happen it will, great rule of thumb. I don't think you necessarily need to move it. Sit on your butt or knees, so your at your babies eye level then try and mind set yourself to his curiosity. Arrange furniture and things according to his eye level not yours. If you do this you will see how many things you have that grab his curiosity. I hope something I said or explained why I'd do things helps you and to understand why he's so curious. I know it sounds silly going down to his eye level but you most likely be surprised and have a better sense of why he's so curious. Kudos for posting a thread with such an important question. Fantastic parenting. Way to Go. ?

+infinity to positive reinforcement and turning the tank into a fun yet safe activity and not a "no-no". My 2 yr old loves our fish. She still doesn't grasp why daddy gets to get arm deep and she doesn't but her day will come.

I doubt it could be knocked over. Your tank alone is 550 pounds with just the water in it.

Picked up? No
But moved/knocked over- possible. Ever seen a 150lb person lean on 1.5-3 ton car and the car moves? Just takes a little energy to get something heavy moving

I doubt it could be knocked over. Your tank alone is 550 pounds with just the water in it.

Uhh, no, a 25-30lb kid climbing up and holding onto the front rim could easily be enough to get it tipping over.
When you exert force at the top of a structure it is far more likely to move and shift then applying force at it's base, simple physics.
Try it with your aquarium as an experiment.

I'm sure a lot of parents whose children pulled dressers, TV's, etc. over on top of themselves also thought, "never happen, it's too heavy"

@ the OP, you will have to move the couches/table/chairs soon any way once he discovers the joys of jumping from one to the other. ;)

Back
Top Bottom