Chili's & shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So personal opinions/experiences with the shrimp/rasboras combination?

Hi i keep chillis with my rcs, vampire and bamboo without any issues, i have lots off babies. Haven't seen any of my chilli harrass any shrimp.

Chilis may go after baby shrimp at night when lights are off but usually chilis are a very safe fish with shrimps. Very tiny mouths that they even need micro or crushed flakes so they can munch. No fish is safe for shrimps completely but if there is any fish which is the least harmful is chilis and ottos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, yes! Very happy with Neos and Chili combination. Have NEVER seen one go after any shrimp. Look at them on leaves but not bite at them. I think when the lights are off it is possible but not likely.

As all mentioned above, Boraras Brigittae aka Chili Rasbora are a really safe selection if one feels they want a mixed shrimp and fish tank. Otos would as Kashif314 mentioned as they are algae and biofilm munchers.

When one mentions them though as Otos, there are many specific varieties. Common sense would be the smaller specie the better. In the event shrimp fry could inadvertently get sucked up while the fish are grazing.

Adult mature shrimp are kinda bigger than the Chilis.

The pH needs of Caridina shrimp like the higher grades requiring low pH below 6 and being comfortable with below 6, should not be kept with the Chilis as while I had them in the tank together and as time went on, my water buffered down even more and it was apparent the Chilis looked stressed.

They had ideal water otherwise well aerated and no ammonia, Nitrite and really no Nitrate either. I ended up keeping the water changes small and a couple times per week and they would be fine with the pH being around 6 or a bit more.

Well said autumn and i love this fish. I just don't keep shrimp and fish just to be safe but if there is any fish i can trust its chilis more than ottos and my reason is that ottos don't have very tiny mouths and a baby shrimp is like brine shrimp. Very tiny. If we offer brine shrimps to ottos they ll gladly have them. Just saying. I do read people say ottos are 100 percent shrimp safe but some shrimp breeders on YouTube posted some good videos on why they arent

Back
Top Bottom