chiller help for a 265

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

02tts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok...so I've been looking at chillers since it seems while some of my fish are ok at 83-84 degrees, most seem uncomfortable and some are developing ich and some kroked over as they just don't like that temp...has to be temp. as everything else has been test 10 times and is clean as can be.

That being said, I have a chance to get my hands on a older model, 2.5 year old, never used, Coralife 1/2HP unit for a decent price. My question is, will this unit be enough, since it states for up to 250 gallong tanks - but I don't know at what pulldown...since I only need 6-8 degree pulldown, I'm wondering if that's sufficient....I have a 265G, with 225 of volume and a 20-30 (have to double check) gallon sump.
with only 384 watts of lights and 360 watts from the pumps (external), plus whatever other pump I need, in-sump, for the chiller.
Other problem is I can 't find info. on wattage or amperage for this model...

I spoke to Oceanic which used to make the Coralife chiller and they don't know as they don't have any info on it other than the manual, and the manual does not say, as I have a copy of it - short of looking at the actual chiller itself or hooking up an amp meter I have no idea...anyone...

Otherwise, from a size and efficiency perspective, I've narrowed it down to the following:

1/3 Teco - great reputation, but BTU seemed low and amps seemed a bit high for this model
1/3 Plus Tunze - very efficient at 5.8 to 6amps, like the fact that it has a + or - .5 deviation as supposed to 2 degrees in most cases - uses a valve instead of a capillary like all the other ones mentioned
1/2 Oceanic - 6.2 amps
1/3 JBJ - can't find amp draw
1/2 JBJ - can't find amp draw

I've looked at Pacific Imports, Tradewinds, Current, Aqualogic and while they may all be great brands, they were all non efficient compared to the above models...amperage ranged from 9 to as high as 14.

The question is: is a 1/3 enough or do I need a 1/2 - (I will be putting this chiller outside where during the day it's at 95 degrees - according to some manufactrers, this should have no effect, then some say it will, most said it shouldn't as they are rated to operate at 95 to 100 degrees a tthe reported efficiency....

so...thoughts...anyone out there with roughly the same setup...I also don't want this thing running 12-15 hours a day if possible, as cooling only 6-8 degrees should not be too taxing.

Back
Top Bottom