Chiller pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need a pump for my 1/4 hp chiller. It needs to be small, and hopefully cheap. Any ideas?? Please help!!

Ok i think its 290-660

Also, the site says "up to 175 gal"...does that mean this thing will waste alot of power??

Gboy66 said:
Return? From what? I havent got a sump

Where is the chiller gong to sit? Your going to need to do a closed loop and to do that you have to deal with the head pressure from where the chiller and/or pump sits back to the tank, or if the chiller is above the tank..from the top of he tank to the chiller. Personally I would go with at least a mag 7 to a mag 9. How big is the tank? Do you really need a quarter horse chiller?

66 gallons, it will be in the stand of the chiller. Dont need a 1/4 but couldnt hurt.

I have a RSM, so a closed system. The pump is supposed to fit in one of its chambers and have a tube going out and into the chiller, and a 2nd one on the other side. 2 tubes.

Yeah, but the pump has to overcome approximately 5 feet of head pressure, maybe a larger equivalent because of the path through the chiller.

reefrunner69 said:
Yeah, but the pump has to overcome approximately 5 feet of head pressure, maybe a larger equivalent because of the path through the chiller.

Im not sure i understand:/ sorry

Gboy66 said:
Im not sure i understand:/ sorry

The pump has to move the water from the tank, through the chiller, then back up and over the edge of the tank. The higher it has to pump the water, the slower the flow will be, and depending on the pump....it may not be able to pump the water that high at all.

So what size pump should we purchase? Also, how do we know this pump will be right for our chiller?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Would a mag 7 work?

Sorry, was watching the Olympics wind down. Yes, a mag 7 should work fine. I would run it externally, as I mentioned in a closed loop. You could hard plumb it, or you could use PVC coming out of and returning to the tank, with nylon tubing in between.

reefrunner69 said:
Sorry, was watching the Olympics wind down. Yes, a mag 7 should work fine. I would run it externally, as I mentioned in a closed loop. You could hard plumb it, or you could use PVC coming out of and returning to the tank, with nylon tubing in between.

Yup thats what we'll do. Pump in the tank, connected to tubing going to the chiller. Then tuning goin back in!!

Just enailed the company for an idea on what pump to buy

Back
Top Bottom