Chillers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeautMonster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in the Bay Area of CA with my 2 20 gal tanks (and slowly gathering equipment for my third). Spring is finally here and I got my windows open and then I have a panic attack realizing summer is coming.
Our house doesn’t have air conditioning so it can get in the 90Fs or higher inside during the summer. Since I have smallish tanks I know this is going to have some affect on the water temp.
Anyone else have a tank set up in hot climates? What’s the best way to keep the water from boiling or suffocating my fishes? IMG_1403.jpg

I live in the Bay Area of CA with my 2 20 gal tanks (and slowly gathering equipment for my third). Spring is finally here and I got my windows open and then I have a panic attack realizing summer is coming.
Our house doesn’t have air conditioning so it can get in the 90Fs or higher inside during the summer. Since I have smallish tanks I know this is going to have some affect on the water temp.
Anyone else have a tank set up in hot climates? What’s the best way to keep the water from boiling or suffocating my fishes? View attachment 308345
I wish you had specified whether or not you tanks are in the same room and the size of the room. The reason is because aquarium chillers aren't cheap. If they're all in the same room and the room is no bigger than 12 x 14, you can pick up a 6000 btu window air conditioner fairly cheaply. You only have to then spend enough energy to keep the room temp at 82 degrees. Even goldfish can handle that temp. The problem that's left then is a little bit more feeding and then of course more water changes. The higher the water temp, the higher the metabolism of the fish's bodies. But if you have your tanks in seperate rooms...not gonna be very helpful. Good luck in your situation.

Each of my tanks is in a different room. We have a small air conditioner in the bedroom, where one tank is located. The other two tanks are in the living room and the dining room. The house we rent has the worst insulation, so trying to air condition those to rooms would be useless and a huge waste of money.

Is there any other tip/tricks to keeping the aquariums cool enough?

Each of my tanks is in a different room. We have a small air conditioner in the bedroom, where one tank is located. The other two tanks are in the living room and the dining room. The house we rent has the worst insulation, so trying to air condition those to rooms would be useless and a huge waste of money.

Is there any other tip/tricks to keeping the aquariums cool enough?
The cheapest aquarium chillers I found online were $269.00. That's over a 100 bucks more than a 6000 btu window unit! I don't know of any other solutions. You could try replacing about two quarts of water with 2 quarts of dechlorinated ice when it gets too hot. There will be icebergs in the tank, but it may help and give you an extra 2 qt. water change a couple times a day. I'm at a loss without you dropping a lot of cash.

In theory could I use something like this?View attachment 308382
I don't see a chlorine problem so probably yes, but there will be a lot of variables. How many to use, how long will they last during high heat, can they all be contained on one area (if they float) so surface water can continue to move to keep water oxygenated. Take these thing into consideration. Also small pieces of ice hav greater surface area for faster melting. You may also consider getting the size freezing blocks used in lunch boxes. I just hope you find something that works. The higher heat not only raises their metabolism requiring more oxygen, but the warmer the water gets, the less oxygen the water will hold. It's a two-edged sword. I hope the best for you and your fish. You gotta try something. If I come up with anymore ideas, I'll hit you up.

In theory could I use something like this?View attachment 308382
I just thought of something else. Look into the prices of small recirculating pumps like fish pond owners use for fountains. Then get a regular pic-nik size cooler. Get just enough intake hose to go to the fish tank to pump water out of tank. For the other side, get a super long piece of hose, like 15 feet that you can make a coil out of to go in the cooler and back to the tank. Fill the cooler with ice covering the coil. Plug in the pump and the water will be pulled out of the tank and through the icy cooling coil and back into the tank. Just try to find a small pump that is rated for something less than 100 gph like maybe 70 gph. Most aquarium filter are rated higher than that. Lowes and Home Depot sell pond supplies so try them. You will then have to try to find a way to make lots of ice yourself. Buying a bag or 2 a day can get pricey.

I just thought of something else. Look into the prices of small recirculating pumps like fish pond owners use for fountains. Then get a regular pic-nik size cooler. Get just enough intake hose to go to the fish tank to pump water out of tank. For the other side, get a super long piece of hose, like 15 feet that you can make a coil out of to go in the cooler and back to the tank. Fill the cooler with ice covering the coil. Plug in the pump and the water will be pulled out of the tank and through the icy cooling coil and back into the tank. Just try to find a small pump that is rated for something less than 100 gph like maybe 70 gph. Most aquarium filter are rated higher than that. Lowes and Home Depot sell pond supplies so try them. You will then have to try to find a way to make lots of ice yourself. Buying a bag or 2 a day can get pricey.
By th way, if you try the cooler coil thing, make sure you have enough intake pipe so that intake and output can be on opposite sides of the tank.

I used to freeze water bottles and float them in my 200 gal salt when it was set up in my apartment in soCal. But my tank had built in sump and I'd float them in the over flow box I don't know if you have a. 99 cent store in your area but ours sells bags of ice for a dollar each

A fan blowing across the top of tank will enhance evaporation and cooling.
It will not drop the tank a lot but you could use that 24/7 with something else more powerful [I like the cooler idea ] when you were available or needed.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...99/bn_827316&usg=AOvVaw1MMQl5p1rOvDQUaCkfNS5V
I have a pretty powerful chiller but don't use it . WHY ?
Well my tanks are not outrageously hot and like AC units they have a heat exhaust...A heat exhaust that does not get vented outside so in small rooms can actually increase room temp....

A fan blowing across the top of tank will enhance evaporation and cooling.
It will not drop the tank a lot but you could use that 24/7 with something else more powerful [I like the cooler idea ] when you were available or needed.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...99/bn_827316&usg=AOvVaw1MMQl5p1rOvDQUaCkfNS5V
I have a pretty powerful chiller but don't use it . WHY ?
Well my tanks are not outrageously hot and like AC units they have a heat exhaust...A heat exhaust that does not get vented outside so in small rooms can actually increase room temp....
Yeah. The only cooler option that won't blow it's heat away is the ice cooler idea. Haning the cooer in some sort of wooden box or chest with holes drilled to look better would look better too. I just hope you hot weathered hobbyist find a cheaper way of keeping your fish happy...and alive!

I struggled with this every summer in my old non-air conditioned apartment and I didn't have the money to get a chiller so I have some tips. I live in Portland, Oregon so we would have weeks where it was 90+ every day and then it would lower back down to the eighties for a bit. During those 100 degree periods I would add ice cubes every few hours when I was home and I bought a powerhead and would turn it on for a few hours at a time for surface agitation (it was a little too big for my tank and would really blow things around so I didn't like to leave it on all day). I also increased water changes, doing 30% every three days instead of a weekly change and made sure not to feed too much at a time to avoid excess food waste which will rot quickly in hot water.

Even with all that it would still sometimes get up to 90 - 92 degrees in the tank but my tropical fish were always able to ride it out. It's nerve wrecking but I stayed on top of it and my fish were fine. Hopefully some of that helps.

Back
Top Bottom