Free: Chinese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooselbell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have to part with my Chinese Algae Eater, Mr. Chuen. Had him 11/2 - 2 years. I say he but am unsure boy/girl. When I got him I was a NOOB and didn't know he would need a much larger tank than I can provide, needs approx 125G. I was misled by Pet____ :facepalm:. If someone has the room for him I am willing to send him to you and pay shipping, if in return you can email an occasional pic to my son of Mr. Chuen in his new home. PM me if interested. :thanks:
Mr. Chuen.jpg

How big is he now.
Chinese algae eaters don't need 125gals. They are quite content in 20 and larger aquariums. I would be glad to take him and put him in my 55gal.
Thanks!

How big is he now.
Chinese algae eaters don't need 125gals. They are quite content in 20 and larger aquariums. I would be glad to take him and put him in my 55gal.
Thanks!
20 gallons is way too small,i read they could grow to 14"

He would not go in a 20 gal. Sorry if I confused you there. He would go in my 55gal. tank. 14" is over the size. Below is a description from a website I copied from the Internet. It states they are mature at about 4.5". I have had Chinese algae eaters before and they never exceed 5". They do not outgrow their environment.

Thanks for reading!

Description:
Not the most beautiful of fishes, the body of the Chinese Algae Eater is plain with a notable black stripe from the tip of its "nose" to its tail. Though their color is quite variable, they are often yellowish on the sides, more brown along their back, and have a yellow eye. The stripe is often broken, and there can be black spotting along the back and at the base of the dorsal and caudal fin. They have an under slung mouth which forms a sucking disk, perfect for anchoring to a surface especially in fast moving water.

Size - Weight:
They grow up to 11 inches (27 cm). They are mature at 4.5 inches (12 cm). Personally we have seen them at 5 inches which is a surprisingly large fish, but we have never seen one approach 11 inches.

He would not go in a 20 gal. Sorry if I confused you there. He would go in my 55gal. tank. 14" is over the size. Below is a description from a website I copied from the Internet. It states they are mature at about 4.5". I have had Chinese algae eaters before and they never exceed 5". They do not outgrow their environment.

Thanks for reading!

Description:
Not the most beautiful of fishes, the body of the Chinese Algae Eater is plain with a notable black stripe from the tip of its "nose" to its tail. Though their color is quite variable, they are often yellowish on the sides, more brown along their back, and have a yellow eye. The stripe is often broken, and there can be black spotting along the back and at the base of the dorsal and caudal fin. They have an under slung mouth which forms a sucking disk, perfect for anchoring to a surface especially in fast moving water.

Size - Weight:
They grow up to 11 inches (27 cm). They are mature at 4.5 inches (12 cm). Personally we have seen them at 5 inches which is a surprisingly large fish, but we have never seen one approach 11 inches.
growing to there enviroment is extremely horrible for the fish,and 11" is the most common max size,but they can grow to 14".

Thanks for reading!

Description:

Size - Weight:

If there conditions are met, and if they are properly taken care of they can easily reach 11'.

But this is all irrelevant because this is not what this thread is about.

Don't mind me asking but where did you hear that.
My encyclopedia of fish even says 11" if the conditions are correct.
Sorry I don't mean to be rude.

I had read the same, they get to be 11" and bigger if well cared for. He is already approx 5" and in a 56G high. Different sites and books I have read say this fish should be in 100-125G minimum. I am trying to be a responsible fish owner and provide him the best he deserves. I appreciate if he goes to someone willing to do the same.
•••• I am not trying to be rude, just believe it is my job to speak for my fish that can't. I love them and want them to have their needs met in the best way possible.
Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.

Back
Top Bottom