Chip on Glass Tank - to Worry or Not To Worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
We got the 240g up onto the stand yesterday and as I am cleaning the glass, I notice a tiny spot of what looked like salt creep on the bottom of the front panel where the fake wood trim ends. Its a few inches in from the front left corner. I go to brush it off and realize it is a tiny chip in the glass...not even the size of a dime and paper-thin (maybe two pieces of paper). There are no cracks...you can barely see it looking from the side and you can't tell looking from the inside. No idea how it happened since the four of us got it up pretty easy and without incident. The glass is 1/2" thick. I've never done a glass tank this big and actually have not done glass in probably 20+ years.

Should I worry or should this be okay?

You shouldn't have to worry about it based on the description you gave, but if it gets bigger some how then yes, just keep an eye on it cause mor water will put pressure on that specific area since it's thinner than all of the other surface area of the glass. As of what you described it is easily repairable

I replaced the center brace glass that was broken when I got it. Maybe I will have that guy come out and take a look. Rather be safe than sorry...

No worries - I've tanks with much bigger chips that I've been running for 20 years.

Its the size of the tank and volume of water that worry me. I don't want 240 gallons on my floor. :)

Back
Top Bottom