Chipped tank...would you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoachFINatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found a tank on Freecycle ... it's about 25 gallons. Clearly hasn't been used in some time, but have given it a clean and it's come up ok. Problem is, there is chip at one of the corners and I am not sure if it's advisable to use it. I haven't got huge amounts of money to throw at it, hence trying to get the biggest investment for free, so would rather not have to throw away the tank if I can avoid it, but equally don't want the contents over my floor! Pics attached below..

It's almost like the glass has warped slightly too, but I wouldn't know the science behind any of it haha ;)

img_3374971_0_2fb937574e611fe3c5e2e5f9cfe18e21.jpg

img_3374971_1_bba6a9bf80a68b24d118f1309ff24839.jpg

Honestly if it looks warped, I wouldn't. It may start leaking later down the road or crack. But I am somewhat cautious.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

25 gallons is an odd size... I would fill it with water somewhere outside of your home and leave it there for a while see what happens. You can also run a bead of fresh silicone on the inside part of the chipped corner if it makes you feel better.

Remember if the tank is older, about ten years ago (and before) the tank sizes were often just a name as well. So seeing off numbers isn't as odd as it sounds.

Also if originally a breaded or show it would have an odd size.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I think it works out to be about 24 gallons..just rounded it up :)

Have decided not to risk it! Have another tank to set up instead! All is good :D

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom