Chlorinated water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerrylx2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys,

After a long absence I'm getting back into the hobby, setting up a new 55 gal tank. Never had to deal with chlorinated water before but now living in the city I do !!! Now the question, I treated the water for chlorine when I filled the tank, when doing water changes do I have to treat the new water before I put it in the tank or can I just put the water in and then immediately treat the tank for the amount of water I just added ??

Thanks in advance for your help ��

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always read that I should mix before adding and have followed that advice. I have heard stories of sensitive species dying if not handled this way.

Chlorinated warer

Thanks, that what I thought bus wanted to get others opinions !!

Jerry

I might have posted something similar a couple of weeks ago... if I'm changing just a few buckets full, I treat it right in the bucket before adding to the tank. If I'm filling the tank with a hose which is most of the time, I add the treatment or de-chlorinator into the tank before adding the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks

Thanks gilpi, heard some other guys say add 1/2 the treatment to the tank then add water immediately following with second 1/2 the treatment ! I use a water changer which takes water to and from the tank to my kitchen sink ! I'm old, 65 and those 5 gallon buckets play hell with my back ��

Jerry

Hey I'm an old timer here as well! Rarely do I use the 5 gallon buckets anymore.
I probably over treat the water when I use one of those water changers that hook up right to the sink, I use about half before adding water and the rest as I'm adding the water.
I know I'm far from accurate measurements so I tend to probably add more than needed but it works.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom