Chlorine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rendao

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ello, wondered if someone could confirm something. Am I right in thinking if I put standard tap water into a 125 litre tank that has no fish or plants in and leave it for three days the chlorine will evaporate. Will be starting fishless cycling in a couple of days.

Rendao said:
Ello, wondered if someone could confirm something. Am I right in thinking if I put standard tap water into a 125 litre tank that has no fish or plants in and leave it for three days the chlorine will evaporate. Will be starting fishless cycling in a couple of days.

Yes it will but as jeta said if your water contains chloramine you will need a conditioner/dechloinator. If your water supply only has chlorine then you can let your water sit to gas off before PWC but if you need to do a PWC in an emergency and don't have any water ready you still need a dechlorinator. Prime is a good one to have. It also binds heavy metals, detoxifies ammonia and provides a slime coat for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom